Frag Swap...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Anyone go to these and buy stuff? I'm thinking ahead & I might go to one scheduled near me.
I'll have to arrange to take the day off (get someone to work in my place) and I'm wondering if it's going to be worth doing. I've never been to one & I'm clueless what to expect. What have your experiences been with frag swaps?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Is it by any chance the one in northwest Arkansas on Mar. 30th? If so, I'm trying to make it up there for that one.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's the one! It's about a 90minute drive (but a beautiful drive!) I've heard it's going to have lots of tables set up. I just don't know that to expect since I've never been to one. Have you ever been to one? Are prices way jacked up?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
They just had one close to me and most people said it was good........a good place to get some deals but that depends on the vendors that are there - i'd suggest looking at that.

Blndbunny

I have attended a couple local to me, honestly it's how I have stocked my tank. In mi I have found many great things at great prices, it even where I got my snowflake clowns

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I guess that I'll plan to go....my curiosity for WYSIWYG is kicking into high gear. Guess I'll take lots of cash & my SW tote it home carrying bag. I better start a wish list and try not to get things that I know nothing about...that slims it way down as I know almost nothing about corals yet :yup: I do like the LFS up there, might be a fun day.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've been to many and have always enjoyed them. Just make sure you KNOW what you're getting because you might be getting something that is "weed like" and not realize it.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's supposed to be a good one, Diana. Hope I can make it, would be great to meet another RS member on here. They are supposedly going to have some nice raffle items as well. Even if you don't end up buying anything, it's a good place to meet others in the hobby who share your passion.

yankieman

I love going to frag swaps and if they have speakers its all the better , if you can go, do it, you will enjoy it ,,

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for the info....I've arranged for my daughter to trade work days with me so that I can go. :D
One of the biggest +++plus+++ factors of this hobby is it gives a person something exciting to look forward to (at least it does me anyway).
So now I'm looking forward to the Frag Swap :woohoo: and a trip to my favorite fish store on the same day :bouncer:
I hope I find some AWESOME stuff to buy ;)
@John (whippetguy) It will be nice to meet you in person if you make it.

Frag swaps are the best. You can find some really great deals, and not just those tiny frags you find online for $1,000,000. I just attended one a couple weeks ago and came away with 12 "frags", all a minimum of 2" and multiple heads, and three huge colonies. At the end, one guy who did not want to pack up everything unsold, came in and announced that he was selling everything left 50 cents a frag. I got 12 decent zoa frags. In all, including the raffle tickets I bought, I spent less than $200. The really nice thing about frag swaps is you can haggle with the vendors, and if you don't find the price or item you want, walk 5' to the left or right. Of course, there will still be the vendors selling outrageously small frags at outrageous prices, but that's to be expected. If they are selling things people want, and people dish out the cash, why not. I walked away from them with a chuckle. Did I mention I won a $400 protein skimmer at the raffle?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My tank was about 3 months old when I went to my 1st one, came home with a dozen :dance:

Two Color Aacanthastrea, Red Chalice Coral, Closed Brain Coral, Birdsnest Pink Coral, Cup Coral, Keyna Tree Coral, Green Star Polyp, Frogspawn.

Knowing what I do now... I would have skipped the keyna tree and gsp ;)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
WooHoo!! Thanks for the advice guys!! I'm SO EXCITED about going, wish tomorrow was Saturday already :bouncer:
I have a list going & I also want to go to my favorite LFS, it's local to the frag swap location.
My tank is looking good this last couple of days & I'm ready to put some nice corals in.
I was VERY disappointed in my last on-line coral order. The zoa frags were very tiny & not the colors or size they looked to be when ordering. The frogspawn never did extend, turned loose of the skeleton & I trashed it. They might have gotten hot or could have been the tee-tiny little bags of water they shipped them in (that I had to drip acclimate them with my water) more than 1/2 the snails died. I tested my water and it's fine, have tested it a couple of times since then to make sure the snails dying didn't cause ammonia or nitrite. All is good & my skimmer has been skimming pretty wet but smelly so I feel like all is well.
The brown hair algae is disappearing more every day & almost gone.
I AM READY TO GO BUY SOME PRETTY CORALS! Come on SATURDAY :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You can Google Frag Swap 2013 for the state you live in or near. The one I'm going to is in Arkansas and it came up when googled.
Only like FOUR MORE DAYS :bouncer:
I hope they have frag racks for sale also, cause I don't really want to try to make one :)