Flatworm - Acoel Planaria

JaxReef

I didnt read the entire thread but flat worm exit will not kill AEFW. Its very important to dip corals in iodine solution. Tropic marin pro seems to do it. Also red bugs seem to appear with the AEFW but i did not find any. I just went through this mess with my 210 reef and lost 10 colonies and about 1k in coral. You need to remove all acros to starve the worms. The problem is that we dont know about their dormant cycle, some say 4 months but I have a feeling it could be longer. I have added many wrasses to combat the population of worms but I dont know for sure if they are helping. I do know I have not lost a coral in some time. This is all I have left after 3 months from seeing the worms
jmi.jpg

JaxReef

clear are bad, a good population can wipe out a reef in a week. It seems that someone imported an infected batch or corals and its just spreading. Dip your corals!!

JaxReef

also look for bite marks, little circles on the sps tissue. The worms are clear and are hard if impossible to see

mrsjow2be

erk! are flats bad? LoL imma newbie to the world of SW. I have a 55 gal with a couple damsels, a clown, an anemone, 2 cleaners and a handful each of snails and blue/red hermet crabs. recently noticed some self-diagnosed spaggethi(sp) works and theres these guys on my glass today when I got home from work... *sad face* are they like... horrible gonna overpopulate n kill everything? Suggestions... pwease!

sgoble

Good Morning all - really sorry to hear about this. I battled flatworms for about 6 months trying to get them out myself without having to add the flatworm exit. Well I was unsuccessful. My advise would be to try to syphon as many out as you can. If you are not successful doing this get the flat worm exit asap. The exit itself is not harmful to your tank and the fish it is the toxins the flatworm create when they die - so your chances of everything going ok with the exit is better when the number of flatworms is less. I tried to no avail to get them out myself. They multiply quickly. I lost a yellow tang and really though I was going to lose a royal gramma but thankfully he pulled through. My mushroom were a little burnt looking but after about a week perked up and are doing fine. Hope all goes well for you - good luck!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am very glad to say that I have been flatworm FREE since I treated with Flatworm Exit. :thumbup:

CATALYST

I just used this yesterday. Seemed to work pretty well. I didn't do the double dose. There were the yellow colored ones and some of the clear ones came out that I didn't know I had. I did it in the morning, sucked the ones I could see out, and did a water change later in the day. I haven't seen any again...so far.

What is that. I would freak out if I saw those things in my tank. (Disregard this message. I don't want you to worry!)

Last edited by a moderator:

vdituri

Here is a link to some natural worm-i-vores.
My local pet stores just started getting the black one with the neon blue racing stripes. I wanted it soo bad, but they said it ate flatworms and would only live about 3 months without them. (finally someone warns me before I do something stupid)
Can you mail me some flatworms so I can get one? :)

Predators

flricordia

in a 240 I am maintaining they were in the thousands. I tryed the exit but they came back in high #'s. I described them to a LRS owner who also has the same kind in some of his tanks and he said to let them run their coarse. I left them alone and now they are dissapearing. It has been about 2-3 months now. They ar ethe brown kind. I never saw them on any of the corals, just chocking out the LR and sand.
I also noticed them in another LRS where the tanks are acryilc in-line set-up. Theya ll mass in one tank at the end. She leaves them there so as to feed any target mandarins she gets.
Don't figure. I think they are unsightly and a pest, but I guess it depends on the species of flatworm whether they are harmful or not.
A while back I had success with a 6=line wrass when I had some flat-worms showing up in a nano. The fish took care of them, but also all the pods small snails and chitons, which I like having around.

wobbegong06

careful with the flatworm eXit. its great stuff, but try to syphon out as many worms as possible. because when they die they release toxins which could hurt you fish and inverts. i use an airline and a rigid tube for a worm syphon, works great! after getting as many out as possible, then use the flatworm eXit.

kathywithbirds

look up melevsreef.com. He gets 'em out with a siphon, as many as possible, then adds the flatworm exit, then siphons again, then does the exit again and then a water change.

We got some in Mike's tank, they're on their way out.

edit: oh and adds CARBON in case there are any he doesn't get when they die... when they die they release a toxin.