first sump

kromebusa

Ok, I have plummed my sump and got all my stuff ready for my closed loop system. Is there a checklist of "Oh ****s" that someone has compiled? I have read all the DIY stuff and tested in the garage, what else do I need to know/check prior to putting it in my living room. I know I need to put a one way valve before my danner mag12. I found out after my first run that it sucks all the water back out after power loss(you would think the one way would be in the pump)

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Dont use a one-way valve. They are unreliable. Calcium builds up and causes them to stick open. Drill some 1/8" holes 1" below the surface of the water to break the siphon and prevent overflow. I prefer several holes in case one gets blocked.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Reef Geek said:
Dont use a one-way valve. They are unreliable. Calcium builds up and causes them to stick open. Drill some 1/8" holes 1" below the surface of the water to break the siphon and prevent overflow. I prefer several holes in case one gets blocked.

Ditto! I have read horror stories of check-valves failing.

kromebusa

Man.....you guys are so smarty. how simple was that. Just saved me an ass chewing for buying more stuff to plumb this tank.

Thanks

Witfull

may i suggest using 2-45* pvc to make the elbows,,,, less loss of flow and cavitation.

kromebusa

I am using 45's off the pump to the T connector, then 90's for the rest. I looked at one of the headloss calculators and put my setup in and came back with 1100gph flow.