Favorite MH bulb(s)?

Which is your favorite MH bulb? Select all that apply...

• SE (single ended)

Votes: 70 40.9%
  • DE (double ended)

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • HQI

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • 175 watt

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • 250 watt

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • 400 watt

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 6500 k

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 10000 k

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • 12000 k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • 14000 k

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • 20000 k

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • SPS Corals only

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Soft/LPS Corals only

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • SPS/Soft/LPS mixture

Votes: 78 45.6%

• Total voters

bluespotjawfish

Thanks for the link Woody, I'll be using that in a few months. I have 250w HQI bulbs (Aqualine 13k and 20k). When I replace these I want to try something different. These bulbs have given me a lot of growth, but I have lost a lot of color. Anyone have side by side pics for the different HQI bulbs or know of a link for a good review of them?

tbittner

I'm still using the bulbs that came with my light and I don't need to worry about it for another 3-6 months. Not sure what I'll get then.

Right now their 10k and they overpower the actinics but I'm starting to get really good growth out of everything so I'm thinking I'll stick with the 10k.

gotboost15psi

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm still using the bulbs that came with my light and I don't need to worry about it for another 3-6 months. Not sure what I'll get then.

Right now their 10k and they overpower the actinics but I'm starting to get really good growth out of everything so I'm thinking I'll stick with the 10k.

what brand 10k is that you speaking of?

cuttie100

HEHE wow...guys believe it or not. The pictures you see above with gotboost15psi is how my tank looked last year october. This is my tank after 9 months.

175 Reeflux 10k with 2X32 watt actinics 03

IMAGE_00004.jpg

msbdiving

Nice looking tank cutie. I have been using the reeflux hqi 150w 12k bulb. I have tried one off ebay that was a no name and even though it was supposed to be a 14k, looked more like a 6500 or so. It was so yellow. Here is a pic of mine with the reeflux....
P2210013.jpg

cuttie100

thanks....yea the ebay bulbs bummed out on me after 4 months. Your tank looks nice...The xenias look happy. My red mushrooms are taking over my xenia family.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have to say, after useing all of the above and a few others I find 20k 250w Radium's to have the best coloring and growth. My second would be the 12k Reeflux. The colors on my acro's are the brightest and best i have ever seen them. Some have changed so much I cannot tell they are the same corals. High praises to Radium's!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Radiums huh?
What ballast do you need for radium bulbs?
Do the radiums have a shorter life span than a normal SE bulb?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't know yet Doni on the life span. I am useing electronic ballasts. I always wanted to try them in the past because most of the top dogs use them. I just never had good ballasts until now. They will fire up on pulse and hqi ballasts also. I got the bulbs from DIYreef.com Debby is great to work with and helped a lot with getting my lighting correct.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
How would you compare their coloration to the Reeflux 12k? Are the radiums as blue? More blue? Less blue?

Frankie

RS STAFF
The Reeflux 12k were a bright blue. The Radium's have a more ocean feel to them. That would be the best way for me to describe them Doni. I am a little hesitant in telling you about them though :D I know you like the bright white look of 10k and would hate for you to spend a lot of money on bulbs you don't like.
I do plan on replacing them with new Radium's again when these burn up. So if you want i'll buy them from you if you don't like them. This way you don't loose money. These took about 4 days to mellow out and become the color they are now. I am hooked.

plecosword

The lower the kelvin number the more intensity the bulb has... a 20k bulb is much, much bluer and less intense than a 6500k. A 10k bulb is stronger than a 20k, but less than a 6500k.

6500k = yellow and VERY intense
10000k = not as yellow, less intense
20000k = very blue, very low intensity

HTH
10000k is my favorite. I dont like the pick look of the 14k or the blue of the 20k.
whats the diff between SE and Double ended MH? I like the simple DE

Frankie

RS STAFF
10000k is my favorite. I dont like the pick look of the 14k or the blue of the 20k.
whats the diff between SE and Double ended MH? I like the simple DE
I think Woodstock was referring to most 175w 14k and 20k bulbs by makers like Hamilton and XM, Coralife, and Ushio. I also never liked the dark purple/blue color of those bulbs and another reason why i always went with 10k in the past. The Reeflux 12k in 250w changed all that for me. First off the 175w appearance vs. 250w are completely different. I also have no doubt that a 175w Reeflux 12k bulb will look completly different from the 250w. The Radium's only come in 20k 250w or 400w. To get the colors i am seeing 175w would not have enough push and make the tank dark.
The Radiums i have are not making the tank blue like other bulbs of a higher k rating. It is blue but real. Even the 250w Reeflux 12k has a sythetic look to it compared to the Radium's.
I hope i explained that properly for you all to understand. :D
Again, For my tast the Radium's have the best look without compromising coral coloring or growth. Both have exceled since i have started to use them.
I did want to comment on the 250w Giesemann MegaChrome E40's.
Afer seeing JFK's tank under them i became curious. He show's two pictures with and without supplementing. I beleve this not to be true. I found without any actinic supplementing these bulbs are more on the 6500k side then any other bulb i have used. I realized i was right when i read a few posts in Professor Sanjays tank thread. He is notorious for keeping his corals under 6500k sacrificing visual appeal for overall coral growth and health. After seeing hs tank under these bulbs the white/yellow apperance was exacty like i experienced with these bulbs.

cuttie100

Thanks for the comments guys and gals.... I have a XM 15k 175 SE bulb for sale. I tryed it for about 3 days and switched back to the 10k The 15k was alittle to blue with actinics for me. Perfect if your not running any actinics. Ill let the bulb go for 30 shipped whoevers intrested. Its still pretty much brand new with lots of life left.