Fake Shark Skin Could Make Navy Fleet Faster

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Shark scales are made of a hard material called dentin. Basically, the scales are tiny teeth. They all point backward, so a shark would feel smooth if you dared to stroke it from head to tail, but rough if you ran your hand the other way.

Studies have found that the scales act as armor for a shark and also create tiny vortices that reduce drag to make them faster. The scales also allow sharks to swim silently compared to other fish that generate considerable noise when they ply the water.

The design has proved useful to humans in many ways.

Norwegians applied real shark skin to the soles of their boots to prevent slippage on wet ship decks. In the 2000 Olympics, swimmers began wearing full-body suits modeled on shark skin....

Shark skin has been used by many cultures as sandpaper. It's kept shipmates safe in slippery-when-wet conditions. Swimsuits modeled on shark skin are said by Speedo to reduce drag by up to 4 percent.

Now, research by two separate groups could lead to synthetic shark skin that would make ships and submarines faster and less expensive to operate.

If the research pans out, submarines -- already stealthy and shark-like -- could become even more so.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/050715_shark_skin.html

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Excellent article Cheeks!

I find it encouraging they have a better understanding of the structural make-up of the skin. IMHO I am not so keen on them using the real stuff! :( Resources are there to develop many of nature's compounds without causing harm to the organisms in question.
:bigbounce

Cheers! :goofy:

Last edited:

Gina

RS STAFF
Great article Robert!
Just by looking at a shark I would have thought their skin would have felt rubbery sliding your hand in both directions. I'm glad they have been able to develope sythetic shark skin verses using real shark skin.
We already kill sharks by cutting of thier fins to make some of the arthritis medication that is out there.

KimPossible

Very Interesting!
I wonder what a Speedo would feel like if I ran my hands across it both ways ?
:bmcflme: Couldn't help myself!