elegance coral pests

wayneg

hi i have a prob with my elegance coral i have some little bugs in it took 3 of of them out here are the pics any help on what they are would be great thanks wayne. the pics are in my gallery please take a look. wont let me upload the pics

lcstorc

Re: elegance coral

I have no idea what they are but here is the pic. Pretty creepy looking.
S3012071.JPG

BigJay

look like sand fleas or sand crabs but I don't think thats what they are.

sambrinar

Maybe someone should move this to the HH ID forum, might get a better Id there,,, or PM Boomer.

BigJay

wayne can you get a couple more photos like a side view of an individual and a front and bottom view? Then if you don't mind upload it to photobucket and then paste the IMG tag here so i can get a bigger pic. If you don't want to open an account just PM me , I'll give you my email and you can send them to me and I'll post them.

lcstorc

Moved to HH ID to get the attention needed.
Modified the name as well for the same reason.

BigJay

btw I thought it may be a juvineille form of some type of slipper lobster but it only has 6 legs instead of 8.

hmm just looked that pics again.. it may indeed have 8 legs. It may indeed be some type of slipper lobster. heres some pics for comparo of adults

Lobsters

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What is the coral directly to the left of the elegance coral? Could it be getting "Stung" from something else and the "bugs" are just coincidental?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Man I hate to see it deteriorating like that but there are so MANY things we don't know about this particular coral.

I have a feeling the "bugs" are just taking advantage of an opportunity and not really causing the problem. I have nothing but "gut" to base this one though.

BigJay

Not sure what that is next to it. At first I thought it was a feather duster till I cranked up the brightness. It may not even be stinging it just using chemical warefare. Your right there is a lot we don't know. If those indeed are some type of juvenille crustacean they could just be taking advantage of a dying coral.

wayneg

it is a feather duster next to the elegance coral there is nothing near the coral them pics i took was at night thats why the coral is closed.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Man I hate to see it deteriorating like that but there are so MANY things we don't know about this particular coral.

I have a feeling the "bugs" are just taking advantage of an opportunity and not really causing the problem. I have nothing but "gut" to base this one though.

Good thinking Al! Could they be Coral Gall crabs?

Chuck from Chuck's Additction would know.

cbrownfish

I would look into Isopods as well. I know there are several predatory species but I do not know if any attack Elegance corals/LPS.

BigJay

the only problem even though they look extremely similar is the Gall crabs shouldn't cause the coral that much damage and they are very small only being 2mm in width. 2 mm is about the diam of a ball point pen tip a the widest part of the metal.