Ecotech Radion's Ordered ( for RSM 250)

Hey Chris

I make it myself....sorry don't mean to jack the thread but I can't help myself.

Yum Yum...

Tok

Looking good. I made one of these when living in the UK. Similar design but way less sophisticated; out of an old tea chest. The perspective on the last pic makes it look huge!

robboh

Chris,

Could you please comment on your thoughts around coral growth, light-spread, spot-lighting effects, temperature differences etc?
The local ecotech dealer is willing to discount a bit on a Radion plus a MP10 for my 130, but Im very concerned whether hood-mount is a viable option and I dont want to lose the lid.

cheers
Rob.

Chris,

Could you please comment on your thoughts around coral growth, light-spread, spot-lighting effects, temperature differences etc?
The local ecotech dealer is willing to discount a bit on a Radion plus a MP10 for my 130, but Im very concerned whether hood-mount is a viable option and I dont want to lose the lid.

cheers
Rob.

I've not had the tank long enough for a comparison between the stock lighting and LED for coral growth but have placed two stony corals in the tank about a month or so ago and they're flourishing. Coraline algae is spreading fast and hard corals, soft corals and the anemone flouresce slightly under the 'noon day sun' while positively glowing at night.

I have no lighting spots, however at certain times (if the water's a little unsettled) you can see the beam diverging though the water (similar to the cone of a torch) There's no dark or shaded spots over the hard surfaces or inhabitants of the tank though as this diverges pretty quickly.

IRO temperature differences, The heat coming out of the vents seems less, while there's no real drop in water temperature. I think the skimmer's the heat culprit in my tank as with this off, the chiller works far less.

For fitting, I can't comment on the 130 as mines on the 250. Best you take the dimensions of the LED and see if it'll fit in the existing lighting cavity, or of the compartment can be modified a little to make it fit. Mine fitted comfortably and I've kept the splash cover on. It works well, with no moisture on the inside of the lighting compartment.

Hope this helps, feel free to shout if there's anything else I can help with.

Regards

Chris

Full tank shots with radion please?

Hi Corey

I'm not ignoring your post, one of my lights failed (it was a replacement from a previous failure). I'm trying to sort it out with Ecotech at the moment but communication between us is a little slow.

The tanks currently operating on one light. As soon as I have it sorted I'll let you know.

Regards

Chris

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry about your light issues with Radions. Hopefully you'll get it resolved quickly and painlessly.

Sorry about your light issues with Radions. Hopefully you'll get it resolved quickly and painlessly.

Thanks, the light that's blown is a replacement for one of the original two that I bought. One of them failing a couple of months ago that was replaced pretty swiftly by the vendor.

The friend of mine in Dubai who purchased his at the same time is having similar issues with a few of his lights (he bought four of them). I'm guessing the vendor carries limited spares, hence the delay in dealing with the issue.

Its a bit disturbing with the replacement also blowing as I purchased them out of perceived reliability and extended LED design life and am now a little concerned about post warranty issues. The cost of which I'd be liable for.

The other one's shining away quite happily. Seems to be a problem with the light unit rather than the power supply (they're seperate units). If you swap the units around the power supplies remain good while the lights don't come on and the fan doesn't work. The computer sees both units when connected though..

Will keep you posted.

Regards

Chris

Of interest to those who were concerned about Ecotech's earlier stance on mounting the light in a RSM 250, they asked for pictures of the mounting arrangement and came back with: "the mounting location is ideal for the Radion lighting". The lights are effectively mounted inside a tunnel with fans on either end, with the sealed clear cover between the water and the light.

They have directed me back the vendor and offered to assist if there is any further difficulty.

Nice one for Ecotech, lets now see the vendors responsiveness "inderstandably they asked for a copy of the receipt a couple of days ago". The light's been sitting waiting to be shipped for about 3 weeks, luckily there were 2 of them..

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Chris I'm sure you've already posted it but can you show some pictures of how it's mounted inside your hood? Also did you use the stock fans or add some during retrofit?

Hi Al

I've battled for sometime with adding pictures here. I can either add you to my drop box (you'll need to PM me your email addres) or I can email pix directly to your email address.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chris I'm sure you've already posted it but can you show some pictures of how it's mounted inside your hood? Also did you use the stock fans or add some during retrofit?

37.jpg
[/IMG]