Eclipse Systems

QuentinB

Hey, its about time for bed for me, so this might be a short post to start out with, but what's the general thoughts on the eclipse system hoods? If anyone saw my first thread, I really like my 20 gallon X-Tall. The Eclipse system 1 should fit my tank, from what I see, but how well do they work? I haven't seen anything on here about them, but I know they have some tanks marketed for saltwater. My two major concerns are 1) Lighting. Its not called X-Tall for no reason, and this is a hood made to fit a 10-15 gallon tank. 2) The actual filtration. I haven't heard anything on their "bio-wheel", either, and its only pulling 150gph, which wouldn't quite touch the "10X" rule I keep coming across. So again, thanks for any advice, and feel free to throw any other thoughts or concerns at me.

r2d2

Hi. I think they are very good piece of equipmment for FW tanks or FOWLR because Bio wheel will produce a lot of nitrates that a reef wouldnt be happy with. Maybe you should remove bio wheel becasue your biological filter will be mainly LR.
Another issue for a reef tank is lighting, very short on Eclipse systems. Again, for a FOWLR tank I guess will be just fine.
Greetings

sambrinar

I had a 12.5 gal Eclipse system SW tank for almost a year (until Santa brought me a 75 Gal), I removed the biowheel, replaced the charcoal filter with a charcoal sock, put chaeto in there with the charcoal, removed the hood completely and replaced the light with a Nova Extreme. Worked great!

I have a closed thread in here somewhere that will show you the schuff I did.. I'll go find it and come back.. BRB

QuentinB

okay sambrinar, is it worth it for me to get an all in one hood just for the filtration? I mean, I like the idea of making it more reef-stable, but is the lighting that bad? I just have to keep in mind that I'm still a college kid, and there are better things for me to do with my money... (according to my wife :) )

Also, r2d2, that means that once my live rock has developed, it'll take the place of the bio-wheel? That makes sense, I guess...

QuentinB

Okay, let me throw this in here, would there be a better route to go for mechanical and chemical filtration(canister or otherwise) that might be a little more customizable, without a full-blown sump? I really would like coral, and a well-lit tank... I feel like I'm being picky, but I also want to get what I want out of this tank, while still keeping the wife happy :)

r2d2

If you have already an Eclipse system for that tank, use it and try to modify it as Brenda did.
If you are planning what to buy, dont go for Eclipse if you want corals. You better pick a light fixture and a Skimmer.

Greetings

sambrinar

If you have already an Eclipse system for that tank, use it and try to modify it as Brenda did.
If you are planning what to buy, dont go for Eclipse if you want corals. You better pick a light fixture and a Skimmer.

Greetings

EXACTLY.. if you don't have it already, I would just go and get an empty 10 gal at Wally World for 10 bucks or what ever and then get the light. another thing, the 12 gal is acrylic and bowfront, both of which I will never get again... acrylic scratches too easy and picts with a bowfront are difficult to say the least

the biowheel once the LR is established is nothing but a nitrate factory.. you will ditch it or have algae.. :D

the light is a compact fluercent and it makes the water a tad warmer because it is enclosed, ok for soft coral only (zoa, xenia, maybe shrooms)

You don't need a skimmer for a nano tank, you have to do weekly water changes regardless of skimmer or not, so save you money there, besides the nano skimmers I had were useless

Oh and you do not need a sump.. I had chaeto in the DT and was totally sumpless, you can use a canister filter, but it is pointless unless you want to put Phosban or charcoal in there, then that would be fine