Don't ya just HATE people like this? ;)

BoomerD

777_2-7_5-21_full.gif

This tank belongs to Joseph Weatherson, a member, advisor, and former president of the local reef club who has won the RC TOTM contest before with his gorgeous 240 reef...and it only keeps getting better and better...That's an animated GIF showing the change over 90 days...
For those who don't know him, he has some of the best DIY skills I've ever encountered...here's the link to his website:
The Great 240-Gallon In-Wall Reef Project

mps9506

Yea, I remember his DIY projects that would put some commercial level acrylic fab shops to shame... Never knew he had a web site.

BoomerD

I've been to his house a couple of times for reef club meetings, and his fish room (behind that in-wall tank) is astounding. His refugium puts many other tanks to shame with the quality of construction and design...I'm just glad I don't have to pay his electric bill!

mps9506

ya what's the going rate for electricity in your part of the world, like $50.00 a kw hour? :D

prow

hey that looks like my tank.:invisible wait huh, what the,,, :coffee: ahhh there we go:java: now i am awake. so what are you guys talking about.......:lol: :laughroll j/k.

he must have his own windmill or something.

vdituri

:bouncebox
90 days! You've got to be kidding me?
Suddenly I feel inadequate to the task.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
WOW! That's incredible. Did you see the short video. He has three Zebrasoma sp. all swimming together peacefully. What an inspiration!
Thanks for sharing BoomerD!

BoomerD

ya what's the going rate for electricity in your part of the world, like $50.00 a kw hour? :D

Well, it's not QUITE THAT bad...but PG&E has a tiered system, and there's no doubt that most of his bill is in the top tier, which is about 40 cents/KWH...just guessing, but his light bill has to be around $800-$1000/month during the summer...

mps9506

Yeah that's expensive. Doesn't seem outrageous for what he has (I really think that statement means I have some serious reef problems). I know most of the guys around here with systems around 180-300 gallons see their bills increase (from a bill with no tank) about $200-$300 a month in the summer, and that's with rates around 9 cents a kwh.
Things like this make me glad I don't live out in Caliworld. I'd have to resort to living in van down by the river...

BoomerD

Yeah that's expensive. Doesn't seem outrageous for what he has (I really think that statement means I have some serious reef problems). I know most of the guys around here with systems around 180-300 gallons see their bills increase (from a bill with no tank) about $200-$300 a month in the summer, and that's with rates around 9 cents a kwh.
Things like this make me glad I don't live out in Caliworld. I'd have to resort to living in van down by the river...

Well, he doesn't exactly live in a shack...actually, a very nice house in the Fresno area...and I'm sure that his normal light bill (w/o the tank) would be pretty high in the summer.
Our bill last year hit over $300. when we had the 110+ heat wave...up from the normal $200-$225...and that's with NO running aquariums...

Kirblit

WOW!!!! That's a great looking tank, but for the prices of elec. that you guys are talking about I would have to live on the street :drool: mine is about $50 a month without my 125, but with my nano, and my wifes 55g, 30g, and 20g. It will just be a little more than double up and running for the 125, and I have had to make some sacrifices to make that work, gotta love this hobby, nothing cheap about it.

Triggerjay

It does not seem to matter what I do.... My bill ALWAYS runs me around $300 a month... (Gas & Electric, & water/sewer) and I am in supposedly the lowest cost-of-living area in the US...But its hard to heat and cool 3500 Sq ft.... and you can NEVER get kids to shut lights off...

Jason