Do you really replace your MH bulbs yearly???

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
So I'm wondering how many of you guys and gals replace your MH bulbs yearly?

Yeah... Yeah... I've read the whole shpiel about changing spectrums and the like... but I want to know who's running them longer (you know you are :rolleyes: ) and how your tank's doing?

I've read some posts from Sanjay on RC, who says he's run bulbs for over two years without issues.

I replaced mine after 13 months, but am wondering if I should have?

I replaced with the same that I had... Hamilton 10k. Now I'm itching to try the Geismann Megachrome 13k... they would run me $350.00. Anyone running these bulbs? Are they worth the hefty price???

Maybe this topic should go in Steve's Fact or Fiction thread... Do MH bulbs need to be changed yearly? :idea:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
A PAR meter used in the beginning and again every month would be extremely helpful in determining exactly when to replace the bulbs. That is something I have wanted to do for a long while but never have...

As it is now, I switch my MH bulbs long before a years time to check out different types of bulbs. I am back using the Reeflux 10k bulbs now..

I'll tag along to see what other say...

boozeman

I got the lux meter attachment for my biotopus controller...I plan to set it to send me a text message alert once the bulbs reach below the acceptable PAR :lol:

InLimbo87

I'm planning on changing mine at 10 months, but I'm already looking at new bulb choices to try (although there aren't a lot of 70w options)

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have yet to keep a pair over 6 months. I am hoping the reeflux will last longer. It has not been par that forced me to change but a yellowing of the color. That was with XM's. They were 6 months old.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I have yet to keep a pair over 6 months. I am hoping the reeflux will last longer. It has not been par that forced me to change but a yellowing of the color. That was with XM's. They were 6 months old.

Are you serious... my Hamilton 10k are as white and crisp as the day I got them 13 months ago... that's what got me thinking that I should have used them longer.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah man. If i could have avoided the upgrade I would have. It might be because they were 175 watt?

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Oh I see...

At 175W there isn't as much variety. I hope the Reeflux works better for you. Doni seems to love hers.

Have you ever tried the Aqualine 175's? I've heard good things about them from a couple of my friends.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have 250 watt's now. Remember? You posted that funny picture in my lighting thread! :D

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I have 250 watt's now. Remember? You posted that funny picture in my lighting thread! :D

Oh yeah... my refugium lights!

SooLights-B-djw.jpg

I'm seriously looking at the Geismann Megachrome in 13k... the colors it brings out in corals is superb, and the tank that's running them has just as much growth as my tank running 10K's.

They are on the expensive end though... $350 for my tank.

vdituri

Wait, is there something wrong with 175W MH?
Is it just a variety issue?
Sometimes you experts scare me. lol

Frankie

RS STAFF
Wait, is there something wrong with 175W MH?
Is it just a variety issue?
Sometimes you experts scare me. lol
Nothing wrong with that wattage dude. I had a Coralife ballast that was out dated and it would only fire certain bulbs. When i first got it i was able to fire Ushios and they were awesome. But then Ushio changed the way they made the bulbs and i couldn't use them anymore. So i was stuck with bulbs that had to have starters in them. Keep in mind this was my first set of MH's and i was a soft coral lps guy back then. The corals i keep now needed more wattage. And better quality then Coralife,XM's or yes Hameltons. Sorry all you hamelton people out there but those bulbs sux! :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey! wait up here, after a year is pretty vague! what is the expected hours of usage in a year? whats an average time on? if its based on 8 hrs running does that meanif you use it 4 hrs a day its 2 years? or is there an implication of degradation per firing? Steve

burning2nd

Im gonna shoot for about 9-12 months...

in the little 70watt tank, we went about a year to the date.....

i desided lets see what happens when i change the bulb... and when i did I noticed a great more deal of light..

more so by looking at the wall behind the tank

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Oh yeah... my refugium lights!

SooLights-B-djw.jpg

I'm seriously looking at the Geismann Megachrome in 13k... the colors it brings out in corals is superb, and the tank that's running them has just as much growth as my tank running 10K's.

They are on the expensive end though... $350 for my tank.

Haha :LOL:

Let me know how you like the Geismann Magachrome 13k bulbs. I am always willing to try out new bulbs. I like a bright light bluish hue...