Dingo's 9 month update

Dingo

I'm using my 9 month anniversary as an excuse to post some pics taken with my 'new' used camera. Here we go:

Full tank view:

498fulltank.jpg

My Blue Leg hermit who I put in here because he is unbeleivably cool. This guy is the sole crab survivor of my now defunct 55 FOWLR. He went nocturnal to avoid being slurped out of his shell by my Blue Head Wrasse. Now that he's in my nano, he's out 24/7

498blue_leg.jpg

The obligatory Frogspawn and Candycane:

498frogspawn.jpg

498candycane.jpg

My Red Open Brain

498openbrain.jpg

My Orange Plate, all puffed up
498orange_plate.jpg

Various Acros:
498fuzzyacro.jpg

498greenpolypacro.jpg

498bluetipacro.jpg

A purple polyped and and orange Monti Cap:
498purplemonticap.jpg

498orange_monticap.jpg

And lastly, my purple Montipora Digitata:
498purplemonti1.jpg

Dingo

Yeah, Dickie. Sony DSC-F707. I can't zoom as close as I'd like, but you can crop a 5 megapixel photo enough to still magnify pretty well. I'm very pleased with the color, though.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Beautiful pictures!!

I think I'll attempt to frame and sign my photos... yours looks really nice!

Craig Manoukian

Dingo,

Awesome tank and fantastic looking specimens. A real testiment to your animal husbandry skills for sure! Congrats and thanks!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

dickie52

Yes the colors look GREAT!!! I look at that tank and see it crying for a Scooter Blennie......I think it would fall in love with those rocks!

Dingo

Dickie, I would love to have a scooter blenny, but although I have regular gladiator wars involving pods and bristle worms battling over pellets, I don't think the tank produces enough to feed one long term.

I remember one time I smushed one of those PITA mucus feeding vermatid snails that was gumming up one of my acros. That blue leg pictured above found the remains in about a minute. At the same time this big @ss bristle worm got there. The things were literally having a tug of war trying to keep the snail guts for themselves. It was pretty interesting to watch.

drdrew

dingo..tank looks awesome!
if i may make a constructive criticism on your photos...they all look a bit overexposed...the highlights are blown out. if your camera allows you to adjust the exposure compensation , go ahead and take it down a notch or two and i think you will be happy with more saturated colors and better highlights....

Dingo

Got it, Drew. Help taking better photos from the master is always appreciated. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

Hooked

Hey Dingo, nice tank and great pics. :thumbup:

One question--where did you get those nozzles on the end of the pvc?

TIA :cool:

dickie52

doc,
Could you post a picture of yourself, so as we might see just what you are talking about? Would love to see the saturated colors and better highlights you mentioned......and please stop putting the "........." after your posts......

Dingo

I got the nozzles from old bits and pieces of overflows purchased from the LFS over the years. PVC gets soft in boiling water, so if you want to make your own, some hot water and pliers should do the job.

drdrew

here's me and my family....i'm the one with the helmet.....................................................................................................................................

birdman204

*click-click *

Really nice tank and pics. How long is your exposure. It looks like the pumps are running. If you kill them as well, you can expose the shot for 1 - 2 seconds for some deep color. Just another suggestion. Docs the man tho. I need to get some tips from him.

Dingo

Bird,
I set the camera to ISO 100, aperture priority, and then took photos between f4.0 and f8.0. The camera adjusted the shutter speeds between 1/250 and 1/30, but I tried to keep the shutter speed above 1/60 because things were swaying around, which caused my depth of field to suffer, I'm sure.

I'll try turning off the pump and set up some long exposure shutter priority shots tonight also. Funny, with my older camera, I really had no choice but to turn off the pumps. This lens is much better at gathering light.

Thanks, Tuna.