Difference between 6700k and 10000k daylight bulbs?

CAT

Hi guys,

I'm looking to change my bulbs. I have a coralife 2 X 65w pc hood on my tank with one 10000k daylight and one actinic. I was quite pleased with these bulbs until I bought some really nice orange ricordia and bright green polyps. In my tank, they're washed out compared to what they looked like at the lfs. These corals (and my others) nicely flourescent under the actinics alone so I think I need to change the daylight bulb which seems too yellow to me. The bulbs are about 5 months old.

I've been searching around and found some 55w Jalli bulbs that will fit this hood (straight pin) and I have a choice between 10000k daylight bulbs or 7100k. Can anybody explain the difference to me (in layman terms please ;) - I'm no lighting expert here). I don't need to worry about the strongest light I can get - the corals in this tank did great and multiplied when I only had one 55w 50/50 pc bulb on it, before upgrading to the double fixture.

It's very frustrating to know the potential of how nice these corals can look but not be able to enjoy them with the lights I have. :(

addict

I'd go with the 10K's. I have a pair of 10K coralife PC's that I had over my tank when I first set it up, and while still a little yellow, they are whiter than 7100K bulbs.

If you want a good supplier for Coralife bulbs, try Coral Reef Supply.
I just ordered 4 55w Coralife 03 Actinic bulbs from them for pretty cheap... best prices I've found online, and they shipped quick too. It took me forever to find that place, so I figured I'd share the link with you. :)
They also have other bulbs listed if you want to try something other than coralife, but out of the several bulbs I've tried the Coralife's are still my favorite (I'm running 6 55w 03 Actinic PC's over my new 120g).

I like the 10K/03 Actinic combo... the light is an icy-blue rather than a flat white like you'd get by pairing up the actinic with a yellower bulb... would probably bring the colors out in your corals some more.

Also, nice to see ya over here... I'm the same RA from TRT. :)

HTH

Last edited:

SZHTTM

I agree with reefer addict. I also like the combination of the 10,000K bulbs with the ACT03 bulbs.

In your original thread above, you mentioned that you had an option of 10000K bulbs or 7100K bulbs. It is my understanding that the 7100k are blue bulbs. So becareful...

When shopping for your "blue bulbs", I recommend that you look into the ACT03 bulbs versus the 7100K bulbs. Your corals will show more flourescent colors with the ACT03 bulbs than the 7100K bulbs.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;
:thumber:

Witfull

if i recall correctly, some companies call their blue lights 7100K....similar to actinic but less flouresence.

CAT

Thanks for the info. :)

Originally posted by Witfull
if i recall correctly, some companies call their blue lights 7100K....similar to actinic but less flouresence.

Ahh, I didn't know that.

Reefer Addict , thanks for the link. Are the coralife actinic bulbs '03'? I don't remember seeing that on the package so I'm not sure. Or maybe I have to specify that type of bulb.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Actinic light is created by rare earth phosphors, the 7100K bulbs are painted and simply color the light. True actinics will peak around 420nm. Look for it to say true actinics 03, if it has a kelvin rating on the bulb it is not true actinic.

SeaShel

I definitely agree with the advice you're getting. When I first got my lighting they came with 6500's. Even with actinics to supplement it was way too yellow for my liking. I have since moved to 10000's with the actinics. It is a much more realistic light setting compared to what you might see in shallow water diving.

Good luck with your decision.

CAT

Thanks for the help. :) Sounds like the daylight bulb I have (10000k) is ok. I think I'll look around for another brand of actinic bulb to fit the hood since it's the one that provides flourescence to the corals.

addict

Sorry to get back so late... been busy on the upgrade.
Anyway, yes, the Coralife's are 03 actinics... they make the corals really glow.

Good luck. :clink:

wooddood

the wood dude
great info all.in my experience with pc bulbs the customsealife pc's are the best out their.i have tried both coralife and csl and the csl have the brightest output of the 2.i believe travis uses csl's also.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks Redawg! That link helps me greatly to understand the different colors of bulbs!!

CAT

Wow, a lighting article I could understand... Cool :D
Thanks.

Wooddood, I've looked into the CSL bulbs as well. Did you change the end caps to square pin to use them? I assume that since both ballasts are powering a 65w (or 55w) bulb that it shouldn't matter if they're changed.

wooddood

the wood dude
csl makes them in square pin or straight pin.also the csl 55 watters are brighter then coralife 65 watts.the ballast will run either 55 or 65 watt bulbs.

CAT

Well, that's good news :) I don't mind re-wiring the hood but I'm glad I don't have too.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

addict

Yep, that's the one drawback of buying Custom SeaLife stuff... it's now in limited supply.

I just bought a 1/4Hp CSL Chiller, right before I found out they were going out of business. :eek:
At least it's a fairly standard refrigeration unit so if there's any problems it shouldn't be too hard to have fixed.

I also agree with Wooddood that CSL bulbs are hard to beat. My buddy has one over his 55g and the corals really glow, but it doesn't appear to be as 'blue' as the Coralife 03 actinic, which may explain why it has higher output.

The link I posted earlier also has CSL bulbs listed, but they're also in limited supply (as noted next to the item). If you're gonna get CSL, better get them quick. :)