deep sea divers RSM 250 thread

Feeling pretty depressed today. The tank isnt anything like I envisaged, not sure i like the rock scape the algae on the back wall depresses me too and to top it all off the maroon clowns I got (one very small one small) seem to spend most of the day in the top right hand corner of the tank near back wall (cant be seen when looking at the tank head on, you have to look up) they have been there for almost a week now, occasionally the larger of the clowns will venture onto the rocks and have a look around but the smallest one seems to hang facing down all the time (putting hand near water makes the little one go to the reef... 30 mins later back in his spot) :-( maybe reef keeping isnt for me as ive invested alot of time and cash to far into the hobby and its just not coming together how it should :-( rant over guys

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
30 days in... you are just getting started with the new tank... you are going to have alage outbreaks for 3 to six months as it matures & until you tanks cuc gets up to speed.

A cuc of snails like ...

My CUC consist of about 50 or so... Snails I have

12 - Ceriths, 12 - Nassarius, 12 Margarita Turbos, 12 Astrea & Banded Trochus, 4 Mexican Turbos ... really helps too

On the clowns... have read lots of post like this... they will adjust & become more exploring... just give them time...

here a good read... give you an idea of what all happens in our tanks for the whole 1st year http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/29836-mature-aquarium.html

Don't be discouraged... we have all been there

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I felt the same way about 4 months ago. Going through the exact same feelings and seeing all these tanks that look fantastic and effortless. I was also hunting bad hitchhikers for 4 months. I'm finally to a point where it's more self sufficient to a degree and looking decent. Don't give up.

thanks John and Glen for the uplifting posts both really really helpful and re assuring. Going to work on the tank with new vigur now and get things shipshape. Still not sure what to do about the clowns, When im home the larger one hangs around in 1 spot around the back of the rocks but the little on always up in top right corner almost stuck to the hood rail. If i put my hand towards glass the little one goes down to the other one then they chill for a bit. but both eventually return too the top and can barely even swim as at surface. I have the option to take them back to the shop and potentially swap them for another kind? i dont really want to give up on them just yet as the colouring of the maroons is incredible (i know know they grow too big too :-S)

thanks guys

a few more photos - couple of new additions

5fcb54af.jpg

1821c198.jpg

c7f08b30.jpg

2fa9cfe0.jpg

0fea13fe.jpg

The algae seems to be finally dying off, Skimmer working properly for once and all the creatures seem happy

yea thanks glen, i know ive possibly added them a bit quick but I plan to no add anymore fish for a few months now - there are 2 banggai cardinals in their too. Battery back up fitted to cabinet too, RO resevour now moved to left side cabined... Thinking of a use for the right side.. im not convinced i need a chiller as i live in the uk and im not sure it will get warm enough here. One day i hope my tank looks as good as yours Glenn. On a side note are you happy with your bulb choice? i notice the colours are alot more vibrant and this is a look i want to go for.... any regrets or hindsight thoughts?

John

8130EE1C-F1A9-4B2D-9A7D-F61C0250147A-4370-0000039E40323957.jpg

apolagies for dirty tank.. seem to have a fresh algae bloom need a little more housekeeping on the reef. Still doesn't seem to be much improvement from the beginning but ill keep trying :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Looking nice !

maybe some more snails would help with the algae - one per gallon a good start :) and will really knock it back