Death by lady bug

Tru2nr

Ok so talk about some freakn' crap that i am very much upset about. let me set the backdrop for you as this was all told to me by my wife whom absolutely hates lady bugs for some reason. There was a ladybug on our wall so she showed the cat so that it would attack and eat the bug....im ok with that...well the lady bug escaped death the first time and fluttered away near the top of the tank and the cat instantly jumped on top of the tank and took a swing at the lady bug and nailed it.....nailed it right into my tank :scram: instantly the smaller of my two tomato clowns attacked and was on it like "kids after candy" and she reached in to get the bug out but not before it lost a peice of its shell...she was hoping everything was ok and so was i when i finnally got home. he seemed to be doing good last night....well i woke up this morning to find him stuck to the powerhead dead as a doornail :cursin: im mad because the two clowns seemed to do very well togeather and almost never left each others side now that the little one is gone i see the bigger one swimming around everywhere like its looking for its mate. thought i would just share this interesting story with everyone and if you see a lady bug kill it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Luukosian

Wierd, we get a lot of lady bugs in this area in the fall and I always find them in my tank....I'm almost postive all my fish have ate one at one point and they are all fine. During the fall I find at least 1-2 in my sump a day(must be attracted to the light). Maybe a peice of wing got logded in its throat or something.

BobBursek

they are not Lady Bugs they are Japenese Beetles, imprted about 20 years ago to eat soy bean aphids, you see so many in the fall is when they cut the soy beans they dift in the air and they look for heat when it starts to get chilli out. I find them in my sump all the time and on my light lense, I am sure they get into the tank also but never seen one there so the fish must eat them.

Tru2nr

they are not Lady Bugs they are Japenese Beetles, imprted about 20 years ago to eat soy bean aphids, you see so many in the fall is when they cut the soy beans they dift in the air and they look for heat when it starts to get chilli out. I find them in my sump all the time and on my light lense, I am sure they get into the tank also but never seen one there so the fish must eat them.

don't care they killed my fish death to all lady bugs:rocket: lol

i think a piece did get lodged into his mouth was the issue

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've found a lady bug in my tank too, but no problems. Somehow they seem to look for a place to winter. And they are lady bugs, not Japanese beetles. I think most of us know the difference - they don't even look similar.

Luukosian

They do, an asian lady beetle can look almost like a ladybug sometimes but their color and amount of spots(if any) can vary widely. Ussually they are a duller, almost orange color but I have seen them bright red. Lady bugs don't swarm or hibernate, asian lady beetles do. Get asked this question every day during the season...I shoot bugs for a living :)

It's fun in october to spray barns in the country that are just coated in the things, almost have to wear a mask to keep them out of your eyes/mouth.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Anthony - The Japanese Beetles we get are a shiny metallic green & brownish color, totally different from a lady bug. I do realize that there there are other species that resemble lady bugs, but when I think of Japanese beetle, I don't think of a back spotted red beetle.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Yeah we have some type of bug that resembles a lady bug, it's definitely not a japanese beetle.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's what Terry is talking about
Japanese Beetle
180px-Popillia_japonica.jpg

And here is what we have here (more and more each year)

Lady Bugs/Lady Beetle/Lady Bird

250px-Ladybird.jpg

Tru2nr

i just wanted to apologize to everyone for my comment above, i was not meaning to be offensive at all to anyone and for those who took it that way i apologize i was was quoting a movie which in my opinion was comedic not racist or anything along those lines and i want to make sure everyone does know that my intentions were harmless as i am not a racist and until someone pointed it out i never even thought of it as an offensive comment, and i apologize for my stupidity/insensitivity on that matter.