David's Red Sea Max C130

dgilbert2

Since my last update things have continued to stabilize, parameters now;

SG 1.025
Mg 1335
CA 445
KH 8.0

....requiring very little additives apart from a couple of calcium and buffer doses on separate days.

I am also really pleased that my Frogspawn has started to recover, but it could be down to either;

1. better water parameters
  2. lower location in tank
  3. an area with more water movement
  4. greater stability

No idea which though at this stage but at least its recovering < TOUCH WOOD >!

The only downside this week was my 6 year old stony coral, which has been declining slowly ever since I had it, now suddenly turning grey. It was literally a wave of grey going over it in the space of only 24 hours. Really strange to see!

Amazingly, my purple tipped anemone has suddenly started to become the home of one of my common clown fish, after some 6 years! How did that happen!!??

In terms of my StevesLEDs, as of yesterday I now have the confidence to start raising the % levels by 1% each day. Now back at the dizzy levels of Blue 22%, White 30% :). It will be interesting to watch the tank now as things get brighter over the coming weeks.

Finally I'm still having intermittent pump troubles but waiting for Red Sea to get back to me.

Overall a much better week, hoping things next week will continue to improve now!

dgilbert2

Now one of these would be nice (Purple tipped Anthopleura) :eeknew:
Anthopleura_EN-GB10893698028_1366x768.jpg

Oxylebius

Yes, and there are other cold or temperate water species that you can get, though the selection is a bit limited in comparison to warm/tropical critters.

dgilbert2

Since my last update things have again continued to stabilize, parameters now;

SG 1.025
Mg 1350
CA 445
KH 8.6

....requiring very little additives apart from some calcium and buffer doses on separate days which look like becoming my normal routine! I've ordered some Red Sea Foundation ABC+ to see if that can simplify my weekly dosing.

My SteveLEDs are now up at Blue 26%, whites 35%.

Latest picture below;
IMG_6078b.jpg

The frog spawn in the bottom right has continued to improve this week, almost back at what it was :)

Went to my LFS today, only bought one small Coral, picture below;
IMG_6079b.jpg

Have now got another circulation pump from Red Sea so hoping this one does not trip out, time will tell.

Hoping for another stable and improving week as I continue to increase my LEDs 1% a day ;)

bazmackem

Beautiful mate! What a lovely tank and that coral is class!!!!! I need to get some test kits for the above I take it? Any suggestions? Been using the basic kits so far. Just read the whole of this thread.... Makes more sense now than when I first got my tank!!

dgilbert2

Thanks for your feedback Baz. I use the Salifert range of kits, seem accurate & easy to use. Watch out for the sell-by dates though! :winky:

melvis

Tank is looking beautiful mate! Been having a read back through your thread as I know you've just done a Steves LEDs install and I wondered how it was going?

What's the spread of light like, as I know the LEDs are placed in the middle.

dgilbert2

Tank is looking beautiful mate! Been having a read back through your thread as I know you've just done a Steves LEDs install and I wondered how it was going?

What's the spread of light like, as I know the LEDs are placed in the middle.
Thanks melvis. The spread of light is good, no dark corners at all. I found LEDs harder to get used too than I expected, i.e. the blueness and starting off quite DIM when coming from T5's. Now though with the LED power slowly going up things starting to look better. My biggest stupid mistake was going straight for the 12 hour photoperiod from 6! :duh:

melvis

Brilliant, cheers mate. What did you do re moonlights? I've got some Aquaria flexi ones in there and thinking I may just stay with those instead of adding the Steves LEDs one.

I think I've got it down to two, the 14000k or the 14000k JMB specials....I just can't decide!

dgilbert2

I've got the 14000k full spectrum. In terms of moonlights I don't bother with any. You could leave the blues on though if you wanted at 1-2%. When we go to bed the tank is at its final sunset stage so moonlighting not an issue ;)

bazmackem

I bought a really cheap ebay submersible blue strip when I first got the tank to see if corals fluoresced (?) - for £12 it is amazing.... Just to have on for a couple hrs at lights out!! Tbh I leave it on most of the time now!! The green on my Duncan and torch is great but the reds in the mushrooms are out of this world!!

Pat24601

I've got the 14000k full spectrum. In terms of moonlights I don't bother with any. You could leave the blues on though if you wanted at 1-2%. When we go to bed the tank is at its final sunset stage so moonlighting not an issue ;)

This is what I do for moonlights. I leave my blues on 1%. I left moonlights completely off for a long time, though, and I didn't really miss them because, like you said, when I go to bed it's just finishing off the sunset mode anyway.

dgilbert2

Minor (hopefully!) setback yesterday, a couple of my Zoa heads at the highest point bleached :(

Will need to slow down my 1% a day StevesLEDs power increase to 2% every 4 days as a precaution I think so as not to loose anymore?

Also knocked down current power back to Blue 25%, White 35% and just leave for 5 days. Its like walking on egg shells sometimes :walking:

bazmackem

What are the signs of bleaching (simply discolouration?) and how soon does it show?? I changed to aquaray LEDs a couple weeks ago and worrying!