Dan & Mandy's 29 gal Biocube

astiesi

When you say your Ca level is through the roof, I take it as it is very low since you said the test turned blue right away. What salt mix are you using? I have been using Reef Crystals and have never seen a problem with the Ca level. I have also heard people using Instant Ocean have had problems with low Ca.

Did you verify the level with a second test kit or LFS? Seems a bit strange for the level to go from good to non-existent in just a few weeks. May want to verify the test chemicals are still good.

Grasspicker

Its not low at all. The test should turn from purple to blue. Blue is what you actually want to determine what level the Ca is. Right?

Before i would get purple and then when i used the second and third part of the kit after I got blue I would find out where I was on the scale for Ca Level. Now when I begin the test i put in the 2mg of water and then add the powder and get blue right off. That would tell me that I have a high level of Ca right?

I was thinking that it was low and I dosed with purple up for two days but then I realized that I could be adding to the problem. I plan to go over to the LFS this weekend and take a sample and see if they can get me back on track. I can understand if its low and I have the ablility to fix it using the Cal supplement that i have and purple up but I dont want to add the stuff if im already too high.

astiesi

You may be using a different kit than I am. I'm using API. Basically you add solution 1 and it becomes a pink color. You then titrate with solution 2 until you get a blue color. The number of drops will determine the Ca level.

Heading to the LFS sounds like a solid plan.

Grasspicker

Hey Anthony. Im using the same kind of kit. I get the blue color right off. Thats the problem. Doesnt that indicate Ca too high?

astiesi

I believe that indicates that the Ca level is below 20. I'd have to check the instructions to verify but I believe that to be the case.

Grasspicker

Can you check into it. I have the same kit im sure. Its a three part process. You put 2 mg water in the tube. Then add a little spoon full of the purple powder. I think 8 drops of the 2nd part. Then you swirl it around and add the drops till you get blue.

Mine starts out as blue from the powder. I was thinking that if you were trying to get blue that if you had blue already that ment you had too much ca but if its wrong I can start adding to get it to come up. In the mean time im going to call the LFS. They are a bit of a drive so thats why i havent been by there yet. Hopefully tommrow night or saturday I can get down there. Ill report back what I find out by phone.

astiesi

My test kit does not contain a powder, it only uses 2 liquid solutions. Here is a copy of the instructions anyway:

Directions:
Read thoroughly before testing. Do not allow test solutions to get into aquarium. To remove childproof safety cap: With one hand, push red tab left with thumb while unscrewing cap with free hand.
- Rinse a clean test tube with the water being tested.
- Fill the test tube to the line with the water being tested.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add 10 drops of Calcium Test Solution #1 to the test tube, cap and shake for 10 seconds.
- Shake Calcium Test Solution #2 bottle vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Holding the bottle vertically, add Calcium Test Solution #2, drop by drop to the test tube until the solution changes from pink to the blue end-point. Each drop is equivalent to 20 mg/L (ppm) calcium (Ca2+). Cap and shake the test tube between drops. Be sure to count the drops added.
- A pink color should form after the first drop.
- If a blue color forms after the first drop, the calcium concentration is 20 mg/L (ppm) or below.
-As the end-point is approached, the color will usually change from pink to purple before finally changing to blue. After the purple color forms, only one or two more drops should be required to reach the blue endpoint.

Grasspicker

Yea. Im pretty sure my Ca level is low now due to getting a blue color right away. Im gonna start putting an additive in it to get it back up. :cry1:

Octoman

Be careful with the Ca additives. Some can lower your pH pretty quickly. I would be suspicious of the test kit too. Before trying to adjust your Ca, you may want to confirm your findings with someone else's kit or get the LFS to test it for you.

Rather than using Ca additives, you may be best off doing water changes with good source water and salt to bring it up. There could be other water chemistry problems at play such as Alk and Mag, and IMO a series of water changes with good SW would probably be the best way to get everything back on track.

Grasspicker

Ive been using the same salt that I set it up with from the begining. Instant Ocean.

I cant figure out what would make it just go away like that. I went from High Ca reading around 480 to not even being able to get a reading. Thats why I thought it had went up and not down, but everyone seems to be of the same opinion that its actually went down. I used the same test that ive always used.

I just cant see what could have happened. Is it possible with the amount of corals I have in there that they took that much out in the span of a few weeks?

The positive at the moment is there is nothing looking bad. Everything seems to be really doing well. Im just one of those people that if I see something out of wack i know it can lead to more things being out of wack. Ill take a few tank shots tonight and show you guys what it looks like now. Im coming up on my 2 month aniv.
:woohoo:

Octoman

I don't see how they could have taken it down to <20. Try using the same test kit on some new salt water, it's possible something has gone awry with your test kit over time...

Grasspicker

Very sorry its been so long. We have been busy. I have a lot to talk about though so put on your reading glasses. :invisible

First, Let me update you all on the Ca. I have to admit what a goof I am to begin with and let anyone else know so they dont make the same mistake. The kit I have you put the powder in the tube, it turns the water blue, then you drop 8 drops in the tube it turns it to purple. last part of the test is where you turn it back to blue. I was thinking it needed to be purple to begin with and worried to death. I was adding purple up like mad. Once I went to the LFS and they showed me my error I went and did a retest and found my levels around 400 so i got very lucky or my prayer life is just that good. :)

Now I want to share a sadness with you all.

RIP_Jasper_1.jpg

If you look close at this pic you will see a bone on the jaw of jasper hanging out. We dont know how of if it was like this from the start but it got progressivly worse. I really didnt know what to do for him. He would try to eat with good results but overnight one night something either got him and ripped his jaw almost to his gill or he just banged it till it got worse. My wife blames the Arrow Crab :cursin: She doesnt like him much. Im not so sure and really dont want to pass judgement. At any rate I prayed for a healing or for him to go fast so he wasnt in any pain. I like giving God choices. :) Next morning the Arrow crab had him in his clutches. I tried to wrangle him away from him but I was running late for work so I figured I would get him in the afternoon. My wife ended up beating the crab down for the little guys corpse. :guns: We havent replaced him and morn the loss.

:snshne:

Now for some before and after pictures.

Before_new_items_September_1.jpg

Here is a shot after the additions.

After_new_items_September_1.jpg

New Corals
Before
Hammer_Coral_Closed_1.jpg

After
Hammer_Coral_Open_1.jpg

We got this little fragment and it turned out to be a very nice piece. I also bought some glue to keep the snails from pushing everything over all the time. This piece seems to have two different colors of Zoas which is very nice.

Nice_Green_Zoas_1.jpg

I talked the owner at the LFS to break one of the rocks in his collection to get this mushroom for us and he found a hitchhiker crab. Not the kind he wanted in his tank (fed him to the Puffer). We got a nice shroom and he got the criminal out of his tank :wit:

Purple_Mushroom_1.jpg

He also dropped this in the bag by accident. NOT. We happened to mention how nice these were and he just put them in for us. I hope they multiply because they are so nice looking.

Nice_Freebie_Zoas_1.jpg

This last shot is to show how the water quality is in the tank for those that are following this thread. The red mushroom is the first one we put in and is doing very well. I dont think im going to cut it. I really like it. The six line stopped to strike a pose. I really think its a female.
Nice_shot_of_sixline_1.jpg

Thats pretty much where we are right now. I hope you all enjoy the update.

Last edited:

astiesi

Sorry to hear about Jasper, I love yellow watchman... that really sucks. Are you planning to replace him or go with a different type of fish?

The coral additions are all looking very nice. When those frags all start to fill out the tank is going to look amazing! :thumbup:

yungreefer2410

yea i like shrooms. i have a green spot shroom thats about 2 1/2 in across and is very pretty. it also just dropped a baby or some shroom did cause i have a new baby shroom about a cm across. it looks blueish right now so i'm not sure...

Grasspicker

Everything is still going fine with the tank. Just wated everyone to know we havent had any problems. Im getting a little of red algae growth. Im not too sure why. I missed a week of water changes that spiked my Nitrates and I believe thats the problem. Im back to regular changes but the problem hasnt went away just yet. Anyone have any ideas?

:jumprope:

Grasspicker

Sorry to hear about Jasper, I love yellow watchman... that really sucks. Are you planning to replace him or go with a different type of fish?

We are going to replace him. I dont know what with yet. The pistol which we hardly ever see but hear doesnt seem to mind. Any Suggestions?
Ill most likely get rid of the Arrow Crab. He has molted three times since July when we first got him. I tell you he is huge now.

The coral additions are all looking very nice. When those frags all start to fill out the tank is going to look amazing! :thumbup:

Yea I want them to grow in. I would rather have a tank that has some years to it than a full one with only a few months. Im seeing good growth in some areas. Does anyone know how long it takes for a the Zoa's to start to spread. I have two that I really hope take off because of their unique color.

astiesi

I assume the "red algae" is cyano. When dealing with it I began running PhosLock to elminate the phosphates in the water, it disappeared after about 2 weeks.

nikkipigtails

Red Slime is caused by excess nutrients...mostly by overfeeding. If it's red slime, try siphoning it out with a turkey baster, keep up with water changes, up your CUC and cut back on your feedings.

Grasspicker

thanks Niki. Ive been just blowing it off the sand but ill do the turky baster thing to get it out. Good looking out.

I only feed them once a day. Maby im overfeeding and just dont realize it. The little clowns have started nipping at me when i put my hand in the tank to move stuff around. they are getting O so bold.

Well its :coffee: time :java: oh yea you know you want some.