Dan & Mandy's 29 gal Biocube

Grasspicker

Ive been trying to post a start to our bio cube but lost all the information for some reason. Im pretty frustrated at this point and just trying this before I go home. If It works Ill try and edit it so that the information I spent an hour on is put into the thread.

Full Tank shot after 3 weeks.

Full_Tank_Shot_11.JPG

Picture of Walter our Hermit Crab

Walter_1.JPG

Picture of our Two uncommon Clowns. I wont say rare but not an every day pair.

New_Clown_picture_1.JPG

I hope to be able and fill everyone in on they date of build and everything but im very frustrated with posting and loosing the information. Hopefully this will work and get me started.

Grasspicker

Well It looks like the post finally worked but I lost all of my details. I will post them up tommrow because I really want to get some feedback and information from some of you pro's here. I wish I had more time to put it together today but Ive ran out of time today. Ill post up tommrow. Ill try and take some new updated pictures as well. Sorry for a bad start.

Octoman

I'd hate for you to have to write all this again, so here it is... I changed your email address and recommend you edit the original post. The spambots on the internet dig around the forums looking for yummy email addresses to send their spam to.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...18-oceanic-biocube-29-builder.html#post505046

Good Afternoon All,

My wife and I bought a cube on July 5th 2008 and have ventured into the hobby. 10 years ago I had an 80 gallon Hex tank that I had a great deal of success with and I have wanted to get back into the hobby. We took our pastor and his wife to an Aquarium store near us because he has a 75 gallon tank. We found a cube for half off and we just couldn't resist.

It seems like there have been a great deal of advances in the industry since I was involved in it years ago so I'm very excited to share the hobby with my wife. We purchased live sand and made our way home eager to get everything running. Our first bump in the road was when we realized that they left out the salt which was on the counter and never purchased. ARG! The next day we traveled back over to Knoxville and looked at another store and found a very nice man that helped us with rock purchase and salt. We like the first store for the choices but we have found that the smaller store gives us a lot more information and is more personal with information. So we bought 26lbs of Figi Live rock only 3 pieces. One was very nice with a lot of present Coraline growth. The other two pieces were not as nice but worked for the vision I had for the aqua-scape.
No problems with the initial set up and the Aqua-scape looked great. I really didn't take any beginning pictures and now i regret it after looking at all the ones on this site. The progress from the 7th to the 15th was great with a lot of things coming out of the sand and rock right away. To my surprise I got a very fast diatom bloom. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast. I did nothing to the tank at all except watch it every night. We really thought we had some great luck when we found a snail trekking across our rock and at the time we didn't know what a glass anemone was. During the last part of the first week I started to look at different forums and found that it was something that we didn't want in our tank. On the 15th I went to a local store that wasn't as far to drive and picked up a Blue Leg Hermit Crab, Peppermint shrimp, Emerald Crab, and some purple up. I also bought 9 more pounds of LR that completed my vision for the aqua-scape it was the final two pieces. After adding them to the tank the Hermit hid for a few days but the Emerald Crab who my wife named Mighty Joe went right to work with the Shrimp she named Peppi because he sways back and forth.
By the 17th I had a lot of diatom bloom and the pods were everywhere having a blast running in and out of holes in the rocks. We were going to be in Knoxville so I bottled up two containers of water with the plan to take them to each of the stores and see who would be the best at helping us. The first place we went pretty much told us that we needed to do a 5 gal water change and everything else was spot on great. They also said I should raise the salinity. No charge for the water test either. The second store which was the nicer of the two with less personal attention charged us 3 bucks for the test, and didn't give any advice. I didn't press them for information at either. I bought a Rio 600 pump and a Saltwater Master Test kit and home we went. Installed the pump and changed the water.
I tested the water the next 3 days and found each test spot on where they should be. Over the next 3 days more bloom with green hair and brown.
On July 20th we went from church and trek-ed to the stores in Knoxville. Its always rush rush rush because they close so early making it hard to get there in any amount of time. We were going with the intention of buying a Koralia pump that I have noticed a lot of you putting in your tanks. We ended up with a Koralia 2, 5 Turbo Snails, a pair of rare black Ocellaris Clowns and some kikari mysis shrimp for them to eat. I was a little apprehensive in buying the pair but I had seen them in the store every time we visited and our friend there assured me they were a very hardy fish and we could handle it. I inquired about mushrooms and he suggested to try one for 10 bucks first so it wouldn't be a great loss if something went wrong. The clowns were 59.00 a piece!, but after we left and went over to the bigger store I saw one that was 99.00 so I felt very good about buying them. I purchased a Refractometer and a Red leg Hermit Crab and an Arrow Crab and off to the house we went. Every thing went very good with the process. I ended up moving the Mushroom once because It just didn't want to stay where I put it. One of the clowns jumped into the pump chamber but it came as no shock because I had read that would most likely happen. That problem has been resolved with gutter guard from Lowe's from a tip on one of the boards.
This brings us close to where we are in the tank process. We found out my wife is going to have our first child after 5 years of marriage and have purchased a video camera. Ive been using it on the tank to practice but I don't know a thing about putting pictures or video on forums yet. I do want to be able to though. (help please. ) Everything has been doing very good for the past week and all water test have remained perfect.
July 26, 2008 we went over to check out the reef store and our buddy was there we got there 15 min before closing and he was leaving to buy something but told us to go in and he would be back. He said we will be closed by the time I get back but we are open for you now!! What service. We looked around and talked to them about the second chamber in our bio-cube. They have a tank set up in their store that has two in tank pumps and a skimmer on the back. That's it! It is very healthy and they have convinced me that the second chamber does not need anything but a skimmer on it. No Bio balls or LR. I ask about the LR and pretty much it becomes a trap for Nitrate eventually. Our purchase yesterday was a Rio nano skimmer, yellow watchman, pistol shrimp, a red mushroom frag (10 bucks), a frag of Zoanthus Polyps, and some Kent Zooplex. Our friend that we have now found is the owner of the store really wants us to be sucessful in our tank. We were asking about a particular coral and he said I don't want to see you put that in your tank for at least 6 months, so I feel good about his advice. On a personal note I think I may have jumped the gun on the Yellow Watchman/shrimp but time will tell. He ate that evening and did yesterday as well. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The first mushroom looked bad, but after feeding the Zoanthus Polyps and new mushroom with the Zooplex from the dropper it has really come alive. I haven't put the skimmer on yet but I plan to today when I get home from work. The owner said if I would mark the back of the hood, he would be happy to cut it for me.
That's pretty much where we are right now. I have started taking picture because I know how many picture addicts there are that troll the forums and a picture is worth 1000 words. Once I learn how to post them I will get you caught up on the progress visually.
That's currently where we are on our little piece of heaven. I hope to start a thread soon. I would appreciate all comment's. Our email address is daniel.sandlin at yahoo dot com. Please feel free to give us a message.

Octoman

I forgot to say welcome to RS!!

The tank is looking good so far (very nice aquascaping!) and it sounds like you found a good LFS. They were spot on about removing the bio-media and sticking a skimmer back there. If you haven't removed the bio-balls yet, make sure you do it slowly. It could cause an ammonia spike if you take it all out at once. Algae blooms are par for the course on a new tank, it should help quite a bit when you get that skimmer running.

You are going a little quick on the fish. Make sure you keep a close eye on ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Also, you are getting close to the stocking limit on your tank, you want to keep it close to 1" of adult fish for every 4-5 gallons.

Grasspicker

Hey thanks for the information. I know we went a bit fast on the fish. We have intentions of only adding one more fish which will be a wrase. The rest of the tank will be corals. Anyone have any good suggestions on a wrase and It will be some time before we actually add him/her because I want to take it very slow from this point on.
Last nite I spent hours with the tank putting the skimmer in. It was such a bear because of the constrictions of the back chamber. I had to remove the back flap for now untill I can cut it to fit over the cup. Im using a Rio nano skimmer like the one on the LFS tank in the store. Their tank is of similar size - the back chambers. It took me some time to get the air bubbles to stop but patience won out in the end. I hope to have some better pictures today after it has been running 24 hours.
I did take some and will upload them shortly for all to see. I used a different Canon Eos 8 meg to shoot this time so hopefully some of the shots will be nice. I did a water test before the break down and everything was in line where it should be. I was worried pretty much all night so I did a re test at 5 this morning and no change in any levels. It looks like I didnt do any damage. I'll be testing again when I get home.

Pictures soon and thanks for any advice in advance.

Grasspicker

Ok as promised some updated pictures.

Here is a tank shot after messing up the water with the new skimmer added. I hope it looks a lot better when I get home today. It was much better this morning.

Full_Tank_Shot_July_28_2008_1.jpg

A few shots of Jasper. (No shots of the Pistol but we hear him! thats why he has been named Firecracker)

Jasper_1.jpg

Guarding_Firecracker_1.jpg

Someone had ask about the CUC. Here is one of 5 Turbos in the tank. I was going to get more but these have done a job in a week's time so I feel that they have the tank situation under control.

The_Cleaner_2_1.jpg

The_Cleaner_1.jpg

We have two Shrooms, A purple/green one and this one. I really messed the other one up because he doesnt have a base to sit on so when i moved him he was very upset and is stressed. :(

Red_Shroom_1.jpg

Lastly, The Tank Duo. We love watching these two. They have a great color and we hope to have them around a while.

Butch_and_Sundance_1.jpg

nikkipigtails

i think you've already reached your max stock limit with the fish you've already got. I absolutely LOVE your yellow watchman. We're going to add one to our tank too.

I've had turbos in the past and they don't do much as far as eating left over food or detritis. You might want to look into adding a nassarius or a few dwarf ceriths.

Grasspicker

Thanks nikki, I hope to put only one more fish in there, the wrase eventually. We love to watch the watchman. :) We are looking forward to him finding his blind friend and entertaining us a bit more.

Not much happened yesterday. The skimmer looks to be doing fine and has started doing its job. Not hardly any bubbles in tank now.

Our Arrow crab molted last nite! I was pretty stoked to wake up and find his shell in the tank. That must mean things are going well. I checked the water again last nite and all levels are good.

Question: How often now should I do water changes?
When doing a water change, How do you determine how much salt to mix in the new water. It's my understanding that it does not evaporate. I dont want to raise my salinity that much so im curious as to how you measure to keep your desireable level.
Lastly, What temp is ideal? Mine stays around 76 to 78 with no heater. Is this bad? If so what recomendations?

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey there Grasspicker. I see you surely have been busy. Ok, so you have a skimmer, stock pump, stock lights. correct so far? Thats a good start with the skimmer. I would talk about changing the stock pump out for something that is a little more efficient. Most use the maxi jet 1200 on our tanks because it fits in there perfect, and lowers the pump wattage from 24(stock) to 9 or 10 (mj1200). And then the output of the pump goes from 243gph to 295gph.

I see you are going through a diatom bloom (all the brown algae) How is your lighting schedule set up? Do you have timers for the lights?

Water changes...its a variable topic, some do a lot, some dont. Me personally, I change 4 gallons on my 29g a week. I ONLY run a skimmer and do water changes. I DO NOT dose any kind of chemical in the tank on a regular schedule. You will get to this point one day as your tank has to mature a little.
Mixing the salt, did you pick up any kind of hydrometer at the LFS? if not, probably gonna need one. If you have the cash, might we all suggest a refractometer. Its a hand held, light powered maze of small mirrors. Ands its about dead accurate. Usually mixing salt amounts depends on manufacturers specs. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are 1/2 cup(dry measure) per gallon of water. Some go by weight, and I dont know about the others, I use Instant Ocean, period!
Temperature sounds about good, some say keep it 77-78 others 80-82, I stay right in the middle at 79, so there is no arguing!

Grasspicker

Tip, Im sure glad you stopped by! Let me catch you up to where I am with the tank and anyone else that wants to give any comment.

I sat the tank up on July 7th. I pretty much set it up stock with bio balls and all, because I had not looked at any forums.

We used 26lbs of Figi Live Rock in the begining which consisted of three pieces. The one on the left in the tank and the two flat ones on the bottom. On July 15th I went and bought two other rocks that now set on top of the flat piece for a total of 5 pieces of rock. That added another 9 lbs of Live Rock to the tank bringing us up to 35 total lbs. There was a very noticable algae bloom begining so we added one Emerald Crab, Blue leg Hermit, and a Peppermint shrimp because of Glass anemonies. :(

On July 17th we took water to the LFS and I decided to buy the Rio 600 pump to replace the stock. I also bought a Light timer Digital Power Center 8.0 that for some reason will not work. It does fine on the Day light but when its time for the Actinic lights to cut off It never does. No idea what im doing wrong Ive checked the times but it just doesnt seem to be working. I also bought a test kit because im not paying 3 bucks every time I go to the LFS. :flaming:

Once home we did a 5 gal water change per recomendation from the LFS and I changed out the pumps. For the next three days I tested the water. The levels remained right where they were supposed to be.

July 20th, We went to the LFS with the idea of buying our CUC. We purchased 5 Turbo Snails, Reg Leg Hermit, Arrow Crab. (We found a hitchhiker snail that ive determined is a Nassarius Snail). I also purchased a Refractometer because I hate using the dippy one.

We made our first mistake here that I hope doesn't end up getting us.

Buch and Sundance
Butch_and_Sundance_1.jpg

I know we rushed this a bit but these two were nothing I had seen before and my wife just had to have them. :) We got them for $59.00 a piece and when I compared them with one at the other LFS we realized we had saved $40.00 because they had one for $99.00.

I also purchased a Koralia 2 pump for the tank and installed it. I really love it!

July 26th,
We were in Knoxville and stopped by the LFS. I was really thinking about skimmers and had been looking at a lot of what people were using. I have to say that I was very confused. The CPR Skimmer was very much something I was considering but after talking to the LFS guys and seeing a skimmer they had set up in their tank I decided against the CPR. I bought a Rio Nano Skimmer just like the one they have. I also ask them about the second chamber and bio balls/Rubble idea. They said forget both because they are just traps for nitrate. They must know something because the set up they have in the store is amazing.

Possible mistake #2
Jasper / Firecracker
Jasper_for_ReefPictures_of_the_Tank_July_30_2008_005.jpg

As you know the Pistol shrimp hid right way. We hear him though. :)
Could you have really resisted this pair?

We also bought two frags. A red mushroom and some Zoas.

Here are two full shots of the tank.

July 20, 2008
Full_Tank_Shot_11.JPG

July 30, 2008
Pictures_of_the_Tank_July_30_2008_016.jpg

July 30, 2008
Pictures_of_the_Tank_July_30_2008_017.jpg

Hope this helps with questions. I love pictures so I hope to keep you guys and gals eager for more!

Grasspicker

Another Quick Question. Ive noticed a green Algae growing. I read somewhere that it was a good kind. Anyone chime in on it. Here is a pic.

Algae_question.jpg

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh Yea, I can find some of the "first" pictures of my cube, all the tops of the LR were that green....NOW, all PURPLE....its a good start.

Grasspicker

sweet! That means we are on the right track. We pretty much are just sitting back and watching now. Its hard not to want to add stuff. I really want it to take shape but it will be worth the wait in the long run. I meant to show you the skimmer picture and forgot to put it in the thread. Here is what it looks like. I havent done anything to the lid yet. Gonna have to cut it so only the cup sticks out the top.

Rio_Nano_Skimmer.jpg

lcstorc

Looks like things are moving along. Now is the time to sit back and watch for a while as things stabalize. Do not rush it. You must have patience. Reefs take time.
Sounds like you have a good amount of LR and removing the bio-balls and getting a skimmer was great.
I would say the green algae is neither good nor bad. It is just one of the many stages the tank goes through.
Now for the water. :)
Do you have a good source of RO/DI water? This becomes very important. The easiest and long term cheapest is to get yourself a RO/DI unit. Your lfs probably sells it by the gallon for your short term needs.
You heard correctly about the salt not evaporating but that has nothing to do with water changes. That is about top-off. At least once a day you will need to replace the water that has evaporated from the tank. This is where the salt stays behind and the more evaporation you have the higher the salinity will get.
Water changes are when you remove salt water and repelace it with NSW (New Salt Water). This removes some of the waste from the water and helps keep your parameters stable. Smaller tanks are harder to keep stable so you want to test often and do regular water changes. I would start with 20% a week and see how the parameters react. If they are looking good you could go with 10%.
Hope this helps you on your way.
Meanwhile I love the scape. Nice job

Grasspicker

Did a 5 Gal change last night. I found a really good way to change water. I put the old pump inside the tank and run the water out with a tube then put the pump in the new mix and tube it back in. LESS mess, No Stress for the kiddies in the tank.

We have Well water so it works great for tanks. I used well water for a tank I had back in the 90's and never had any problems with it. I wish I still had that tank. It was so nice. This one will be better :)

Grasspicker

Time for an update since im not getting any response ill post some eye candy for you. Maybe it will spark some interest in this little project.

:jumprope:

Two Tank Shots.

Tank_Shot_August_2nd.jpg

Tank_Shot_August_2nd_night_lights.jpg

My wifes Fav. Rainbow 6

Rainbow_6.jpg

OK People get to posting. :makefun: