Cuttlefish Eggs!!

JandR

Yeah I know, what makes it worse is we were talking about moving them over too just yesterday. We just didnt know what the best way to acclimate them was since they are so tiny. My boyfriend feels awful cause he was the one that wanted to have 2 in his tank so he could be a part of it.

But on a happier note... I got my mysis in today and jus put some in there and the cuttles are gobbling them up!! They have already eatn 3 a piece. They love em!! So since they are eating and doing goodI think they will make it. I dont have anything in my tank that will tip it over so they are safe lol. My cleaner shrimp probably drives them crazy though. He i always sticking his arms in stealing thier food... Just like when I feed my sun corals haha

JandR

They are at the top. and hooked on to the side. That arnt just floating in with everything. The lionfish has been hanging out up there alot te past few days since we have been feeding them live. We think he hit it and knocked it off the side of the tank. The eels never even come out except to eat much less to that side of the tank. We were planning on moving them since the lionfish wouldnt stop staring at them but we just didnt do it in time. He is oly about 2" long too so we had no idea he would be strong enough to knock it off.

cuttlecrazy1102

:hallo: Hi everyone! I have been eagerly following JandR's stories about her cuttlefish eggs. I've had saltwater tanks for more than 10 years now, and had kind of lost interest in them...until now! My husband and I have recently returned from Hong Kong where we visited a fish market that had live cuttlefish for sale. I had seen them before at public aquariums and always thought they were interesting, and unobtainable. After seeing literally hundreds of these fascinating creatures, I thought they must be alot more common than I had believed. So, I started researching. And then I found this forum. And I found a source online that could ship cuttlefish eggs. And now I think I may have made a huge mistake...
My eggs arrived today! And one has already hatched! And luckily, I had already ordered mysis, so he has some food if he wants it. And it's 2 days until Christmas and I have a million things still to do, and I can't stop pressing my nose to the glass and watching him! And you really can see the babies inside the eggs, so when I'm not watching the baby, I'm watching the eggs. I am never going to get the cookies baked or presents wrapped!
This is the best Christmas ever!:woohoo:
Thanks JandR for sharing your stories! I hope your babies are still doing well!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary cuttlecrazy! Good to see someone else trying the cuttlefish raising - good luck with it!

I was wondering what the status is on JandR's attempt? No updates in several days.

JandR

:hallo: Hi everyone! I have been eagerly following JandR's stories about her cuttlefish eggs. I've had saltwater tanks for more than 10 years now, and had kind of lost interest in them...until now! My husband and I have recently returned from Hong Kong where we visited a fish market that had live cuttlefish for sale. I had seen them before at public aquariums and always thought they were interesting, and unobtainable. After seeing literally hundreds of these fascinating creatures, I thought they must be alot more common than I had believed. So, I started researching. And then I found this forum. And I found a source online that could ship cuttlefish eggs. And now I think I may have made a huge mistake...
My eggs arrived today! And one has already hatched! And luckily, I had already ordered mysis, so he has some food if he wants it. And it's 2 days until Christmas and I have a million things still to do, and I can't stop pressing my nose to the glass and watching him! And you really can see the babies inside the eggs, so when I'm not watching the baby, I'm watching the eggs. I am never going to get the cookies baked or presents wrapped!
This is the best Christmas ever!:woohoo:
Thanks JandR for sharing your stories! I hope your babies are still doing well!

I am so glad you enjoyed it! If there is anything Ican help you with let me know!! And Grats on the new babies I know how exciting they are and it never gets old!!! How many did you order?

JandR

So sorry guys I have not been posting for the last weeek or so. I am having some computer problem. I think my kids might have accidentally downloaded a virus while they were playing on it. So I am unable to upload my pics to it right now because it says it cant find my harddrive? Anyways with my 2 kids and my fiance's 2 kids wehave not had much time to update this or fix the computer with christmas here.

Anyways back to the goods. The 3 cuttles are doing great!!! Nubbins ate his first "dead" food today. I thawed some frozen mysis and put it in there and he jumped on it!! The other two still dont really know what to do with it I think, so if they have not eaten frozen by Sunday I will have to order some more mysis lol.

Hope everyone has a GREAT Christmas!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear the other 3 are still doing well - thanks for the update! I hope you can figure out the PC and get it back to normal again.

cuttlecrazy1102

Hi all!
Well, my experiment with raising cuttlefish babies has failed horribly. I had 5 of the first batch of eggs hatch, 3 in the first 2 days of getting the eggs, and 2 more several days later. I never saw any of them eat. I had live baby mysis shrimp, brine shrimp (adult and babies), and copepods, and nothing seemed to interest them. They all died within 2 days of hatching.
So, not one to just give up, I got more eggs. My new LFS was kind enough to order some for me with their regular order which saved me a ton on shipping (I would highly recommend ordering through your LFS when at all possible-the order is packed better and is shipped faster, you don't have to pay all the shipping costs yourself, and you don't have to wait around all day for the FedEx guy to show up. You just stop in to the LFS and pick up your new additions)
Anyway, she ordered 2 bunches of eggs for me, which ended up to be about 20 viable looking eggs. One hatched before I even got to the store. 3 more hatched before I got them into my tank. By the next morning I had 9 baby cuttles. I was so excited I almost couldn't go to work. They were active and swimming around, which the first batch never did. When I got home I had 5 babies living. The next morning I had 3. 2 more eggs hatched, but the babies survived less than 12 hours. The rest of the eggs died. I never saw any of these eat either.
So, after the first batch didn't make it, I thought ok, something is wrong with the water parameters. Nope, everything was perfect. The only thing I could come up with was the water flow through the "breeder box" I had the eggs and babies in was pretty low, and from what I've read they like alot of water flow. So I hooked up another filter and directed the water output toward the case. Water flow through the box was much better, and as I mentioned, the new babies were much more active, though I don't know for certain if that was the reason.
Does anyone have any ideas what might have gone wrong? The fish store owner said she's never had any luck with them, (even though she has reef tanks that are amazing)
and doesn't know anyone that has raised them. I know they raise these on a large scale for research, what do they do that I didn't?
So, I had this pretty tank, all this live food, and nothing in it. I added a couple hitching posts and got two pairs of captive bred seahorses. They are doing splendidly and they love hunting the live food--though I have probably spoiled them and they will never eat frozen again.
I will continue to research raising cuttlefish. Someday I will try it again. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.
Thanks.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear of the latest sad news. :( Wish I could offer advice, but you certainly know more about them than I do!

Have you started a thread on the "now a horse" tank?