Cuttlefish Eggs!!

theDeedo

alright! now the only hurdle left will be breeding them! Put me on the list for some eggs when you do! I gotta fuge waiting for them.

I bet your beside yourself. I know I would be. See what happens when you keep trying?

JandR

They are Sepia Banensis. They only get about 3.5 to 4 inches. Which is fine by me lol. They are about a quarter inch right now. I hear that by a month old they can be over an inch long. Since they are so short lived they grow very very fast.

They have been trying to eat which is awesome. I sat and watced them for a while when I fed my sun corals tonight and they are striking at the mysis bu have not yet caught any more. So hopefully with in the next couple days they will be better at hunting lol

JandR

alright! now the only hurdle left will be breeding them! Put me on the list for some eggs when you do! I gotta fuge waiting for them.

I bet your beside yourself. I know I would be. See what happens when you keep trying?

As soon as they start breeding,or if they start breeding I will let you know and you can have first pick. I am hoping they will all make it that far. So far this batchhas been very promising!!!

JandR

So far so good!! Every one is doing good. Although I woke up this morning and all my mysis were dead which sucks since I only used 10 out of 100. Gotta wait 2 days for some more to come in so til then I am going to have to be inventive on getting them to eat something else.

I am trying to decide if I want to move the 2 in my fiance's tank over to mine or just wait till they get older. I think his lion fish is freaking them out. They are staying at the very top of all the algae. But it could be my imagination.

They look like the elephants off of jungle book ( I think it is) The elephants hold the tail with the trunk in a line, ya know? Thats how they do, they line up with thier tenticles on the other ones back. Its cute.

Uslanja

Nice pics! They sure are tiny!! On a side note though; How do you keep mysis alive? Are they in their own tank? Would you use an air stone similar to a brine shrimp set up?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the update. Good to hear all are doing well! Do you think they'd take frozen mysis (thawed first of course), introduced a few at a time?

JandR

Nice pics! They sure are tiny!! On a side note though; How do you keep mysis alive? Are they in their own tank? Would you use an air stone similar to a brine shrimp set up?

I didnt really know how to keep mysis alive I kept them in a 1 gal container with a small bubbler. I may have killed them. lol

JandR

Thanks for the update. Good to hear all are doing well! Do you think they'd take frozen mysis (thawed first of course), introduced a few at a time?

Most people start to introduce frozen at about 3 to 4 weeks old. The frozen mysis are twice the size the live mysis are so I froze the dead ones and put a couple of those in today and blew thm with a squeezer but it just scared the cuttles so I have not seen them eat today. You think I should try brine shrimp till Iget more in? I have some fish fry but they stay near the top. And amphipods seem very fast and they hide. So hopefully I can come up with something because it will be tuesday before anything live comes in...

JandR

Hey Reefmack or anyone else... What do you thnk about the grape algea? I have some ini with the cuttles and dunno if Ishould take it out cause I would hate to know it goes sexual? I dont keepthe lights on all day so will it more then likely go sexual?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Maybe the brine shrimp work work - you know a lot more about the cuttles than I do! Based on John Maloney's reply on that other thread, and what I've read, I think the grape is one of those that does tend to go sexual easily. No experience with it myself. Maybe chaeto would be safer?

theDeedo

JandR, why are you worried about the calupera going sexual in the same tank with the cuttles? will it hurt them?

JandR

JandR, why are you worried about the calupera going sexual in the same tank with the cuttles? will it hurt them?

Right now I have them in breeder nets in my reef tank so if it went sexual with them it would be all over my reef which would suck!!! LOL I have some chaeto but they dont prefer it, but we will see if I take the other out, how they like it.
:hammerhea

JandR

About the same... They are all 5 doing great and all but 1 ate as soon as I put som brine shrimp in there yesterday. My mysis are supposed tocome in today but they shipping it to the wrong address lol soo I will have to intercept it before it goes there. I got some trigger pods but have not tried those yet. The one that I didnt see eat could have eaten last night. I left afew in there and they are gone now so thats good. I have some new pics but not had alot of time to upload them, my kids have stomach virus so I have been running around taking care of them. I should have them uploaded by today or tomorrow and will post them.

One of the younger ones in my tank keeps a tenticle out and going up and down constantly like an elephant so he is funny. They all have thier personalities which helps me keep them apart. The two in Justins tank dont watchas much but they are eating and moving around alot too.
So far so good!!

JandR

Hey guys got some bad news.... We woke up this morning and the two cuttles that were in Justin's tank are gone! I am pretty upset about it. Even if they got out there is no way they are still alive. He has triggers, lionfish and eels so our guess is that one of the fish knocked the breeder net over and they got out and then got eaten. I searched for hours in the bottom of his tank ( its a shell type bottom) and cant seem to find them...

I will post pics tonight.