curring lr

mnreefman

does water temp matter when curring a vat of lr...
i started curring my 300 lbs yesterday, as i was wondering if i should place a heater in there

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think as long as it's not winter time (freezing temps) you will be fine. Mine will be cured beginning this weekend without a heater.. in the garage. :)

Gina

RS STAFF
We used a heater when we cured ours but, that was also in the month of September and the temps got a little chilly at night.

mkpaulson

Woodstock said:
Hummm ..... mine would need a chiller if anything and I am not doing that.

well You could always use a fan blowing across the top of the Rubbermaid tub but in your case Woodstock your using dead rock just trying to establish some bacteria growth if I remember correctly.

but in mnreefman case I believe he's using "Live rock" which could have some very nice hitchhikers like brown button polyps, and other types of coral. so in his case it could be beneficial to keep good water parameters.

mnreefman

mk as of right now i havent found any hitch hikers yet... just alot of rotting alages... skimmer has slowed down alot... i clean the waste container once a day... which seems odd to me.. i figured id be pulling ot more

mkpaulson

mnreefman, Don't give up hope yet it took the six weeks after I put the rock in my tank before these hitchhikers showed up.

DSCN1464Small.jpg

DSCN1465Small.jpg

DSCN1469Small.jpg

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow cool HHiker's Mark ! Mine just had some nice pink sponges and fan worms and other fauna no corals unfortunately :columbo:

corvettephreek

where the heck do you get live rock from where it isnt infested with bristleworms and has some COOL hitchhikers like those? good luck, MNreefman!!!

BoomerD

Corvette, what's wrong with bristleworms? they are perhaps the most important part of your cleaner crew.
One of the important things when curing rock, is to have LOTS of flow, and a good skimmer. Things will start rotting on that rock as it cures, (no getting around that) and a good skimmer to help with that is a must. Otherwise, the ammonia build-up can & will get so strong that it often kills some of the life on/in the rock.
Read and follow Walt's directions. He KNOWS live rock. It's his business.

mnreefman

what about chlorinated water.... i realized that b4 i was setting up the vat i had city water... city water equals chlorine