cupramine experiences

seatrueblue

Has anyone ever lost their fish using cupramine to treat ich?
I haven't, I was just curious if anyone else has. There was this person I told to use cupramine and gave them good instructions. Even told that person to go to reefsanctuary for detailed instructions. That person must of not followed the instructions enough or over dosed the tank because she lost her fish. Everyone I know that have used it had great sucess. If you have had a bad experience. Could you please tell me what you did in every detail?

leebca

The usual error is not dosing enough. The first dose is half the goal concentration. This gets the fish 'used to the copper' and gives the bacteria (biological filter) a chance to adjust. The next dose brings the concentration into spec. Some forget or don't realize they are to add another (second) dose.

The next most common error is not measuring the medication properly. Using 'drops' isn't very good. A drop varies in size enough to make a significant difference in the quantity added.

The next most common error is not actually testing the water with the proper copper test kit to verify the copper content is neither too high nor too low.

I did the first one myself, when it first came out onto the market. :evileye:

seatrueblue

I told them to measure it in ml insted of drops because there is a chance you could overdose the tank you are treating. I also told them the right copper testers are salifert and seachem. I don't know what went wrong but I didn't ask because they clearly didn't listen to me. I told the person that they must put all their fish in QT. They only put one fish in the QT. I guess its a good thing they only quarantined one because they clearly didn't use the cupramine right. They said the fish was fine for a couple of days and then died. I doubt they were even testing the water. They would have known exactly what to do, if they have read all the links to this forum I posted. Wow it is difficult to give people advice... bravo lee that you can do it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I removed and treated ALL of my fish .... TWICE (8-10weeks each) using Cupramine!
I was careful at dosing (using ml to measure) and I tested twice daily.
I would highly recommend this treatment.
My picasso clownfish pair were 2 of the fish that tolerated the dual treatments and today they are producing healthy offspring!

seatrueblue

I highly recommend this treatment too. All my fish are healthy and ich free because of cupramine. I told the person what it did for me, even showed the before and after pictures. I am upset because I think they are going to say I give bad advice, because the person lost their tang using cupramine.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
To blame the loss on cupramine would be wrong. There are so many other factors involved in treating the fish; water temp, PH, ammonia, nitrite, overdose, bacterial infection, weak fish, etc...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's possible that the fish "expired" for reasons OTHER than the treatment. Too little too late maybe?

If the ONE fish was infected there is a high probability there are others.

seatrueblue

Oh yeah thats why I told her to treat all her fish because she said all her tangs got ich. I also told her if she only treats one fish, it will get ich again as soon as she puts the tang back in the tank. I am so glad I didn't get a rbta clone from her. I don't think my chrysopterus clowns could handle getting infected with ich again.