clowns in need of persuasion...

little clown

Does anyone have any ideas of how to persuade a pair of clowns to host a certain anemone?
The clowns are Amphiprion ocellaris
The nem is a normal BTA.
I know these two are not natural hosts, but i have seen many such pairs in captivity.

At the moment the clowns live in a large leather toadstool.
I'm not wanting to force the two together, but was just wondering if there are any known methods of pairing the two.

Attachments

• IMG_0221_1.jpg
    IMG_0221_1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35

Witfull

once clowns find a host, they are very loyal. you could try removing the leather for a few days to see if they seek a new home, but there is no guarantee they wont return to the leather once its returned.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Ocellaris can be very picky of their hosts. My B&W Ocellaris eventually was hosted by my RBTA but it took several months. The only way I see it is like Wit mentioned remove the leather and hope he makes the switch. My True Percula at one time had 5 BTA's at the same time in the tank and would only accept the Frogspawn and even when I added it's natural host a Carpet Anemone he still refused to change homes. :rolleyes:

amee6730

I have been so fortunate with my clowns (false percs) hosting. They now have a BTA, but they have been hosted by a leather, a gonipora, a ricordia, a tongue coral, a power head, and even a large patch of cyano! It seems like anything I add to the tank they at least have to investigate it as a possible new home :dunno:

BoomerD

OK, here goes...My oscellaris clowns totally ignored my BTA for several weeks. They'd eyeball it, like it was SUPPOSED to mean something to them, but stayed well away. Finally, I taped this pic to the side of the tank, close to the anemone:
aae.sized.jpg

within 3 days, the female was in and loving it, but it took almost 2 weeks for her to let her mate in. I used the same picture to entice my black oscellaris into a rose BTA, and same results...2 or 3 days, and he was acting like he had never been away from it...odd? yes. I read this many years ago, and tried it out of frustration. It has worked for me both times I tried it. Your results may vary.
That pic btw, is of my clowns and BTA from a different tank.

Reefreak

I love it BoomerD!
I have had some luck target feeding a BTA with mysis shrimp using a small turkey baster prior to feeding the fish and having the clowns associate it with food and partake in sharing its dinner. Still took about 6 weeks.
Good luck

Last edited:

little clown

definately worth a shot boomer... will have a go this evening.
I'v also heard of some wired one, like wiggling a clown fish shaped lettice clip in the BTA, or catching the fish and throwing it in the nem, hoping it will stay there out of fear!!