Clownfish breeding question

I recently got a pair of large black saddleback clowns and they have been engaging in some interesting activity. They play alot but recently I noticed 1 will get in front of the other and point his head straight down and make his fins move in like a clicking motion and sometimes they seem to kiss:)LOL Is this breeding behavior? They have also cleared a large spot in the corner of their tank down to the glass. This is where they stay alot. I had a nice carpet in with them but they beat it do death always rolling in it. So should I put in another anemone or leave them undisturbed? Any suggestion? Thanks.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, it sounds like courtship behavior to me. Unless you add an anemone that is atleast 3x the clowns' size, they will 'beat it up' again. Keep in mind that they don't 'need' an anemone. Good luck with them spawning!!

How old are they? And i wouldnt mess with anything they are pairing off and trying to figure out the dominant fish to see who is gonna be the female and male. But once they have spawned dont mess with anything the last thing u want is to trigger them to stopp and a big change in environment will do this! Also feed good foods to make sure they are healthy. Also remember that once the female has been established she will beat him to death and any stress she has she will take it out on him. So spoil them. Also sometimes when they start to spawn they are hard to get to stop so the best thing to do is to leave them alone!!
Good luck
Shawn

Not sure on the age. Should I not even clean their tank and glass then? I have definatley been spoiling them with good food, I read that was a big factor in breeding. Thanks for the good info Shawn.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, I would continue to clean the glass and tank. My clowns spawn regularly eventhough I have my hands in the tank alot ;) I removed them a few weeks ago and put them in a QT due to their black spots (turned out to be just age spots) for 2 days before I put them back in the main tank and they are already getting ready to spawn again.

Really is tufff to say b/c the fact is they spawning shows that they are comfortable with their settings so i wouldnt mess to much withthem. Also be ready to be nipped once or twice :) But Cleaning the tank isnt the problem just dont move to much rock and stuff.
Good Luck
Shawn

mps9506

If you do a search for her book online you can read a great deal of her articles online without having to purchase the book. The book is still a good buy though if you are at all interested in breeding them. Or just want to have the info handy to post on the internet and look smart at any given moement.

Thanks guys. I noticed this morning that one of the pair was on bottom not swimming by the front glass and was lighter in color than normal. When they saw me they both swam to the top to get feed. After I fed them I noticed the one that was on bottom was really really fat, I don't think I fed them that much. She keeps chasing the other away and apears to be getting a little larger than the other one. Hopefully this means they are sexing and maybe breeding.:) I will look up the info tonight.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Uh, this thread was started
post_old.gif
02-16-2005, 03:00 PM LOL!