Chris's Red sea max

Madfish

Madfish - I replaced the RSM hood with a Current Outer Orbit Pro in October 2007. It's a raised fixture - 150W HQI (a 14k lamp now), 48W of 420 actinics, 48W of 460 actinics, 6 blue & 6 white moonlights.

He there !

could you take a picture of the lighting systhem for me ? Form the front to see how your max looks like and from "below" to see the lightbulbs and neons ?

I am looking for the best way to change that as well.

good night

Chris

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Madfish - these are old pictures - the tank contents have changed but not the light fixture!

From the front. There is obviously some glare from the lights, but the TV is about 8 feet to the right of the tank, and me and the wife got used to it and it doesn't bother us any more. Some day I may mod a flap to hang over the front. You can see the layout of the MH in the center, and the 4 actinic bulbs - 2 front (420 and 460nm) and 2 in the back (420 and 460nm). The moonlight LEDs are not on in the picture, but you should be able to see 6 on each side of the MH lamp - 3 white LED and 3 blue LED on each side:

TankSitting.jpg

From farther away:

TankStanding.jpg

Showing how the back section of the RSM is uncovered. I do get some algae growth back here as the back section gets a good amount of light from the rear set of actinics. The fixture has a single large fan on the right side and is very quiet - the fan only comes on when the Metal Halide lamp is on - not needed when the actinics are on. The ballast in the 150W MH model is in the hood - the 250W MH models have an external ballast. For me the 150W seems more than enough light. Old picture - I still have the RSM skimmer in the back. To the right of the skimmer is a dual cooling fan that blows over the tank - I only need to run that in the summer, and I get by with no chiller by keeping the house cool. Lots of top off though, but I have an ATO to handle that.

Back.jpg

4 cords - 1 cord for the 4 actinics, 1 for the MH lamp, 1 cord for the blue LEDs, and 1 for the white LEDs - the LED power cord plugs have a small AC to DC transformer on the ends. Lots of cords, but it makes it possible to adjust the timing on the light sequence.

It comes with a 10k MH, which I then switched to a 20k, and later to a 14k - I like the 14k the best.

Mavjoy

RM- Thanks for all the info about your MH set up. It looks really nice and soo bright. I really don't want to use a chiller and I don't have any ATO yet, so I'm gonna hold off on the upgrade but the Orbit lights is definitely a good mod for the RSM.

Madfish

Thank you very much for these pictures. Now I see how I can improve my tank.

By the way, what is the price for such a sys ? And if I understood right, you use a chiller ?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Madfish - if you click on the link in post #20 above you'll get an idea on the US price - $423 USD in the above case. Not cheap, but what is in this hobby? There are cheaper Chinese fixtures available, but they have posed problems for some - cheap ballasts and fire hazards. No - I don't use a chiller. In the summer I run the dual cooling fans on the back (evaporative cooling) and I keep my AC in the low - mid 70F range (I hate heat LOL!) and the tank will max out at about 79-80. A raised fixture IMO runs cooler than a closed hood, and the fixture fan removes most of the heat from the lights/ballast. But, that's just what I've found under the conditions I have in my house. If these tanks are kept in rooms that get hot I think a chiller will always be needed, no matter what your light setup is.

Madfish

Last saturday, there was a very small convention in Lausanne Switzerland. One of my buddys solde frags and I gave him a hand. Of course, I ended up going home with a few as well.

I took 2 acroporas. Any of you holding, successfully, acroporas in his Max ??

Of course I put them 10 cm under the light to make sure they would have a maximum of it.

I am done with my studies and well perpare my tank for pictures. You will get them in the next 10 days.

take care

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Madfish - I've seen several RSMs with stock lighting and successful Acropora growth. redseareefer has a tank thread and is having great success with them, as well as others here on Reef Sanctuary and on other forums. Yes - usually kept up on the top portion of the rock.

nornicle - yep - those were old pictures - that was before I went to the Remora hang on skimmer on the back. Now that I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer in my sump, the only thing I have in the skimmer section now is my Lifereef overflow and the return tubing.

steveh

This is one of the most beautiful Max's I have seen. Absolutely stunning. Congratulations on a superb aquarium.

steveh

I meant to ask- how did you get such great quality photos? Any advice for someone who can't ever get a decent picture?

Madfish

Thank you guys,

My camera is a Canon EOS 400 with and 3 leg stand. I take my pictures with the manuel mode. I am not very good at it. Many reefers in Switzerland are great photographers. Specialy with Macros.

The Yellow fish are Gobiodon okinawae.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Fantastic! What lenses do you use with the Canon 400? I think that's the same as my Rebel XTI over here in the states. I have to struggle to take pictures like you have.

MatthewJ - I think those might be similar to Yellow Clown Gobies, but I'm not sure.

jjohnson3

:drool: You RSM people make me sick! Especially you Chris...Just kidding! That just may be one of the most beautiful RSM's I have ever seen! Any agression with your fish bioload? It seems kindof high...

Madfish

:drool: Any agression with your fish bioload? It seems kindof high...

Hello,

With bioload you meen to high population ?

Well yes the pop. is high but they do not realy interfear with each other. The tank has reach it's limits and I would not put in more fish.

The thing is the that:

The clowns never leave the anemone. -2

The Yello fish (Gobiodon Okinawae) are smaler then an inch

The green banded Goby is less then an Inch

The Serranus is less then an inch

The magnificas are a couple and are respected by the angel and the Gramma Loreto.

No realy, there is no problem. The only advise I would give to anyone that want to have a hi populations is Match caracters.

If I had to do it again, I would never put in an Dwarf angel ! He is the little boss in the tank.