Chiller for Red Sea Max S-line?

Greetings RSM Lovers :)
Just wanted to know roughly how many of you are using Chillers for The sline?
And if you are using it, what branddo you haveor you recommend?
Also, how noisy (i.e. my favorite topic :mad: ) is the chiller?

Many thanks for the help!
YT

jjongmans

I'm using a Hailea HC-500A and it's noisy like every chiller. But I control it with my Profilux so I can raise the temperature setpoint a bit in the evening.

Excellent, thank you! This is really helpful! Didnt eventknow what is profilux :) so had to google it! Now i know i also need to buy that! Cheers

Choff

Hey YT,

I would venture to say most of us run a chiller. The ones who don't have either converted to LED's or keep their tanks in well ventilated air conditioned environments. I can only think of 1 person not on LED's that does not have a chiller, but there could be more.

A lot of us run jbj 1/3 hp units. They are one of the quieter ones, but by no means are they quiet. I always had to turn it off to watch TV, but it's not obnoxiously loud that it bothers me if I was just having a conversation.

Keep in mind of you get a 650 you need to buy an additional pump to run it. The 500 does not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nerum

Hi, I am using the Superfish HC 150A On my S500. It is set to start cooling at 26°C and stop at 25°C.
Today it did not start cooling max temp today was 25,8°C, but my lights are only On for 4hours.
If it is loud or not, I can tell you probably this weekend.
This chiller was not expensive, about 330€.

Wow! Now I am really getting scared to jump into this hobby :)
So, let me see if I got it right!
First i need to buy the S400!
Then immediately change the return pomp and skimmers because of noise!
Then change the lights to LED or buy a noise chiller and control it with a Profilx!

Did I get this right? :)

modulok

Maybe I am the one Choff is thinking of without chiller and stock lights...

AC is set to 75 during the day. Instead of buying chiller/paying to run chiller/using more AC from chiller heat...I bought a controller (Reef Angel). I have it set to auto start a cooling fan when temps get to 81.3, and shutoff lights/heaters when temp reaches 82.

If your fish room stays below 78 during the day, I would rather see money spent on fun stuff than noisy/expensive/electric hogging chiller.

And stock pumps aren't that bad, skimmer is the only one that is borderline noisy. When skimmer pump is off I find myself checking the tank to make sure things are still moving water.

Mdk16

We keep the house at 75 during the day and 73 at night with central air. I attempted to go without a chiller but the 650 runs to hot. I'm using the aqua logic delta star chiller. It runs often and is set at 81. I'd prefer 79, but I think it would run all day. At the moment, everything is thriving at the current temp. I think temperature stability is more important than the actual temperature. It also depends on what you are planning to keep. A fish only tank can run hotter without an issue. The 400 may run cooler with less pumps. I don't think you need to replace the stock pumps until they break. You can adjust and accommodate the noises and Vibrations if they present a problem. It's a great hobby but be prepared to drop some money and there's always something else you are going to want to add to the system.

Choff

Matt I'm not sure I agree with your last sentence.....:)

..... OK that should be my signature.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Seagars

s650 here. was running a 1/3 jbj chiller and quiet from a noise standpoint. replaced it with a 1/2 corallite. loud but works great. 78 degrees. runs for about 2 mins every 15 mins. house at 77 degrees. florida always hot.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You don't have to buy a controller, ie Profilux to run a chiller. Chillers will kick on and off on their own as needed. Some do have theirs hooked up to a controller for extra control but it's not necessary. Also, there are a lot of other controllers on the market beside Profilux which are quite a bit cheaper. Profilux is the Rolls Royce of controllers, though.

That is true! Thanks. Good to know about the Rolls Roys though! any BMWs that you could suggest specially for measuring different factors rather than controllibg the equipments?
Thanks

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Neptune's apex controller is very good (BMW). They are always adding new bells and whistles to their systems, too.