Chaeto in tank

Jake

I have been reading lately about the benefits of a refugium and macro.

I saw a writeup where some folks put Chaeto in the display tank hidden behind the main rock or another where they used a plastic holder from a kitchen supply store with suction cups that held about 6-8" by 2" wide and suctioned to the glass in the rear of the display.

Question: Is it OK for chaeto to be in the main display? It seems that pods could easily run between rocks and the safe haven of the chaeto. Also, no additional lighting needed, no HOB, no additional plumbing under my already crowded stand. Thoughts?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yep, chaeto will do well in the display and you don't have to worry about it growing out of hand and choking out corals like caulerpa does.
Finding a place for chaeto anywhere is a good thing :)
Good point that it will provide a safe place for pods to live.

Jake

Thanks for the feedback. I picked up a plastic wide mouth jar at the store today that I will use. It is clear, I can leave the top off and place it in the rear of tank on the bottom. I will cut slots on all sides for flow. Now to pickup some chaeto from my LFS and give it a try.

sambrinar

Thanks for the feedback. I picked up a plastic wide mouth jar at the store today that I will use. It is clear, I can leave the top off and place it in the rear of tank on the bottom. I will cut slots on all sides for flow. Now to pickup some chaeto from my LFS and give it a try.

great idea!!! I'll have to try that, my space is limited. does it need good light?? so if kept in a fuge under the tank does ti need it's own light source?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Chaeto needs good lighting and good flow. It will grow like crazy for you!

goldenmean

My in DT chaeto cup runneth over!
I used a one of the above mentioned plastic holders (2" x6") with suction cups.
It hangs off the back wall and it is hidden by the LR. A mushroom colony also helps to cameflouge it

Attachments

• Chaeto.jpg
    Chaeto.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 240

Jake

Now the problem is finding some Chaeto.... so far none of the local stores carry any. I will try the local salt water club web site for leads.

Nice picture Jeff. I like the cameoflage.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You know anyone local on RS? If you were closer I'd give you some but shipping makes it kind of expensive. I'll be trimming mine back in the next couple of weeks.... I have 2 bags already promised but if I have any extra I'll post on here first....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good thread to :bump: bump up from the RS History threads :D
Nice to always find info at RS (stored here since 2008!)
I don't have a sump (YET...be here in Jan. 2014) but I'm wanting to use chaeto as a natural phosphate reducer.
I have some in my DT (behind my rock scape) but I'm getting worried that it's going to get out of control. Especially now that I'm running my LEDs, it's growing fast.
I already have pods of all kinda running out the wazoo all over my sand bed after the lights are out, & I don't have a fish that eats them. Looked last night with a microscope lens & OMGosh! it was scary at all the things I saw!! Talk about major BUG CITY :bugout::eek: If my sump/fuge was closer to ready I'd get a mandarin, I think anyway. I want one but even with all the pods, it worries me because they seem too fragile.

kyle4201

I really want a mandrin also, but it scares me cuz every1 tells me how difficult they r to have. Plenty of bugs now, just going to wait a while I guess.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I really want a mandrin also, but it scares me cuz every1 tells me how difficult they r to have. Plenty of bugs now, just going to wait a while I guess.

I guess we have to have a "dream" Kyle....we just can't have it all right now. ;)
This hobby seems to give us LOTS to look forward to :)
If I still want a mandarin after my tank is a year old, I'll try to find one at a LFS that I see is eating :thumbup:

kyle4201

My lfs has 2 or 3 all the time. I just walk by them (used to stop and look @ & drool) and know sone day 1 will b mibe. Lol

ohiojeff

you know, I tried chaeto but my tank is so low in nutrients I can't get it to grow. I take that is a good thing, but my ball of chaeto has never grown any. it hasn't died, but it hasn't grown.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm really kinda wondering if my chaeto is ALL chaeto or a little bit some other kind mixed in :dunno:
I really need to take a picture & let some one here help me figure this out before it's too late :ponder2:

brackish10

i used the soap-dish method for a while, i dont suggest it. it creates a dead spot behind the dish _and in it) Also, as the cheato spreads, some will end up everywhere in your tank, i personally suggest a hob refugium if youare sump-less. i a finnex hob breeder as a refugium. and the finnex fuge-ray 10" light fits perfect on it. the whole setup was bought on amazon and cost around $60. it comes with an air pump, but u can use a small pump instead if you like. i only have a 5.5g dt, so i dont need much flow through it, so i use the air pump, on a bigger tank, id probably suggest a small rio. i have 3 sections in my fuge, section 1 is lr, section 2 is cheato, and section 3 is empty, being allowed to grow whatever algea blooms there, currently its hair algea. i dont mind b/c its not in my dt.