canister filter

tmc

my python is not cutting it anymore. since going barebottom i am having trouble cleaning the bottom of my tank. thinking of getting a canister filter just for this purpose. any recommendations. also i would like to go as cheap as i can

tmc

gussy

If you are going to use the canister for cleaning purposes, then the Magnum is the way to go. You can either get the Magnum 350 Deluxe free standing or HOB model. The unit seems designed to be used as a cleaning device as it comes with the cleaning hose too. I has a micron filter and a carbon canister. I use the micron filter to suction out all the algae and stuff. Every now and then I use carbon and let it run for a day or two on one of my tank.

Depending on your aquarium location and availability of space the HOB or free standing one will be more suited. For me the HOB (does not come with a cleaning hose) would have been better, but unfortunately I have the free standing model.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22049;category_id=2981;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
HOB magnum!! I use mine for diterus removal. I use a simple hose (nothing on the end) so it can get in all the tight areas. The micron filter cleans up great with clorox! (just rinse it until there is no more clorox smell).

ReefDave

Magnums are def. the best for simple mechanical filtration for the price. If you had a really big tank, the Ocean Clear micron unit by Red Sea are pretty sweet as well (but they do need to be plumbed and a pump needs to be supplied.

Cougra

I know this is probably too late, but just to confirm your choice, I'll safely say don't get a Fluval!! The longer I have mine the more I dislike it.

SaltyTank

Cougra said:
I know this is probably too late, but just to confirm your choice, I'll safely say don't get a Fluval!! The longer I have mine the more I dislike it.

Same with Rena Filstar. I finally threw mine in the dumpster - very aggressively.

-dave

Cougra

Why is that Saltytank? I was thinking about trying one of them for a freshwater tank. A lot of people highly recommend them, but I've also seen these same people recommend Fluvals as well so I would rather a more reliable account. So far I really love my Eheim ProII but the cost of them is a little over budget at the moment.

SaltyTank

I had an XP3 on a freshwater system a couple of years ago and tried an XP2 on my FOWLR when I first started it up. Both worked great when everything was just right - which was about 10% of the time. The rest of the time they were very noisy and huge micro-bubble generators. I would work for days to get them operating correctly, only to start again every time I opened them up to clean and change media. Basic problem seemed to center around keeping the proper water level in the canister and the pump assembly/media tray connection properly aligned. Oh and they both would produce a very high pitched squeal (emanating from the canister itself) when you used the spray bar assembly. Loud enough to keep me up at night and I sleep in the opposite end of the house.

The only canister that I ever had any real luck with was the Ehiem Classic.

-dave

gussy

The XPs have to be cleaned every month or the flow will slow down to a trickle. This doesn't happen to the Eheim Pro or Marineland Magnum. I've also used JEBO brand which is an Eheim imitation. It's as reliable as the real Eheim but really noisy...noiser than the XP3!

In fact, I still have the working XP3. So, Michelle if you want the XP3 I'll give it to you for free! I'll even send it freight collect so you don't have to send me money for the shipping.

DaveK

I can't really recommend canisters on a reef system. If they are not cleaned weekly, they become oxygen consumers and nitrate factories. If you got to have something in this area, the Vortex Diatom filter, suggested by Witfull is your best choice for mucking out the tank bottom on a weekly basis. (You use a Vortex Diatom filter only part time)

A better question might be "What is the best way to keep my bare bottom reef tank clean?"

To do that I'd use a closed loop with the output of the loop going to a spraybar length of pvc pipe run along the middle of the tank bottom. This would create a constant flow of water across the bottom, keepint it clean.