buying used rock and sand

Brandon78

Ok found a guy selling 50 pounds of live rock with coraline growth, been in a tank for 5 years, "just needs to be maintained" (dont know what he means by that) and 100lbs of aragonite sand. He said the tank was sold so the rock is in the other tank and the sand is in a rubber tub with water from original tank. My question is should i take it? What would I have to do with the sand before adding it to my tank? All of that for $75

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If it were me, I would pass on the sand. You can always get a cup of sand to seed your new sand from someone who maintains their reef. Look at the rock and see what he means by 'needs to be maintained' You don't want to inherit someone else's bad maintenance.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I wouldn't take the sand but the rock if it's big pieces I would grab it just let it sit in a brute with a powerhead for a couple months

Brandon78

Yea thats what i figured on the sand, and if the rocks good ill probably end up taking it and do the routine Rob said. I only got one pic of the rock and whats there looks good, but pics arent always accurate :p

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Id buy the rock. Just soak it well n test for copper before u add to the tank.

...........mmmmmmm clams.

Brandon78

Well he lives further than I thought, but, I found another guy selling 50lbs of fiji and some other high quality rock for 100 bucks and its good rock, doesn't need any work. I mean thats only 2 bucks a lb for fiji, tatoka, and some other kind ive never heard of :p