Bubble algae

Gina

RS STAFF
You could try and siphon some off with a hose or try picking it off the rock with a pair of tweezers. Just try and not break the bubbles so that they can spread their spores around the tank.

lcstorc

Very carefully. Try to remove the bubbles without breaking them if at all possible. Like Gina said that just spreads the problem. Depending on the rock I would probably take it out for the removal process and rinse well with new water when the bubble(s) were removed. Some of my rocks I would be stuck and have to try to do it in the tank since they would just be too difficult to remove and/or they have corals growing on them.

Tom Owens

Has been struck by the ban stick
A crafty way a friend showed me years ago works well. It's VERY tedious and time consuming and frankly, can get nasty...but it does work.

Get yourself some air pump line. Don't get the really flimsy, cheap stuff...you wont be able to control it.

Then, you put that line down in the tank right up next to a bubble and siphon it. Get close to it and don't suck too hard on the line and it'll pop right off and stick to the end of the air line. Once you get it sucked up against the air line, just hold your toungue over the line to hold the vacuum. Pull it out of the tank, blow it into the garbage, repeat. Again and again and again....

It's very tedious as I said before, but it works like a charm.

Regards,
Tom

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Remove as much as you can,
keep the rocks blown off so ditritus doesn't fuel the algae's growth,
reduce dissolved organics (via waterchanges, carbon, reduce feedings and skimming)
keep nitrAtes low (via waterchanges, carbon, reduced feedings, and skimming)

Basically, you have to starve the bubble algae just like you would any other type of nusiance algae. I had it really bad but eventually got it under control via the above methods.

Tom Owens

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would get a mouth full of water

Actually, no you don't. You use about a 2.5 to 3 foot length of it and the water will never make it more than half way through the line before the bubble gets sucked up to the end and plugs it shut.

I did it for about 2 hours a long time ago to get all of it off of two rocks and never once got a mouthfull.

Regards,
Tom

jesse_224

i only had a few bubbles and went to remove them about a month ago....i think i broke like two bubbles and now they are everywhere!

blue_eyes53813

Tom Owens said:
I would get a mouth full of water

Actually, no you don't. You use about a 2.5 to 3 foot length of it and the water will never make it more than half way through the line before the bubble gets sucked up to the end and plugs it shut.

I did it for about 2 hours a long time ago to get all of it off of two rocks and never once got a mouthfull.

Regards,

Tom

Hey I got a great idea.... good business for you... you could be the aquarium guy that goes around and sucks all the bubble algae out of peoples tanks..Can you imagine by the end of the day the head rush you would have...whew.......:bugout:

No seriously I think it is a great idea... I am just always thinking of business Ideas, lol:)

Jorgens

"just get a few dozen emerald crabs,,,LOL

DO NOT...Repeat DO NOT do this~"

whats the story here..this sounds interesting?? I have a few bubbles and 1 emerald....what should i know?

I as well had a very serious case of bubble alge and there presence still haunts the tank

i do not run a skimmer ever!!!!!!!!!!

a friend (RYUMADADDY) and myself spent hours picking off bubbles and popping bubbles my friend had one of the new ecotech marine vortech pump and we had it blasting and worked every piece of live rock my friend picked the bubbles and I netted all flying debris that is my reccomendation

it was a total tank teardown and re aquascape we moved about 35 corals and all my live rock

Thank u RyumaDaddy

Jorgens

Is there no natural peditor that can be kept in a reef system? I just brought home some new coral and the underside of the rock is covered....

Jorgens

so when you do this you take the whole rock out of the water? coral and all? scrub/break off then put back right?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes. The coral will be fine out of water for several minutes. In the wild, some corals are exposed to air for long periods during low tides.

Jorgens

PhilOlsen said:
OK I have a dumb question, what is bubble algae???

these lil green bubbly things...

2006AUG027.jpg