BUBBLE ALGAE effective ways to combat it

Playa

What has been effective for you, in erradicating bubble algae?

A few years ago I took the live rock and scraped it right out of the rock. It worked then when rock pieces were smaller:) Tough now removing 30 to 40 pound rock pieces that are covered with corals:)

Thanx for the help.

I have 3 bubbles in 3 different rocks.

Luis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
My regal tank used to eat it like candy! When I took her to the LFS (too big) the bubble algae in my tank went crazy!! I had 3 different types growing everywhere! I've since purchased a emerald crab to eat it and I also remove it by hand if possible. I now have little-to-none in my tank.

HTH

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I use a pair of hemostats with a piece of airline tubing rubberbanded to the end. I get the siphon going on the tubing and then pic them off with the hemostats, if one bursts the spores are removed from the tank via the airline tubing siphon.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
My answer to all things not wanted in a tank:
Make a Kalk paste and cover it. The lack of light combined with the nature of Kalk should take care of it!

ScottT1980

Emerald Crabs appeared to like my snails more than the bubble algae.

My foxface loves the red bubble algae and it was completely erradicated from my tank the first day the fish was introduced. Interestingly, it does not touch the green. To get rid of the green bubble algae, I siphon them off when I do water changes. Seems to be pretty effective at keeping the spores in check...

Take er easy
Scott T.

My emeralds work as advertised. Don't seem to do much when I feed a lot ... but let the SPS tank go 3-4 days without feeding and I can just watch it disappear.

Hand-scrubbing worked best, though.

RanRoc

Emeralds did not work for me. I just take them out by hand when possible. I'd like to try a foxface if I had the room for it. Until then, I just accept their nature.
-RY

J_T

Putting my vote in for the emeralds. Took care of my problem. I now have 2 emeralds that keep it gone. I see some now and again, by the time I think to check again, it is gone.

Playa

Thanx a lot everyone for the advice. I am skeptical to introduce an Emerald, but I might try some of the other methods.

Luis

Last edited:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Playa, if you can get to it, try to cover the bubble algae up with a shell....something to starve them from light (like LuckyInk suggested with the kalk paste)