Brown hair algae/Red Fuzzy algae

modulok

Will my CUC of 3-4 emeralds, starry & bicolor blennies, 10-15 hermits, and many varied snails do the job and eat this stuff up?

Tank is 2 months old (from transfer of old tank that was 8 months old).

I have a bunch of chaeto and good algae in the sump area. But it's not keeping up with the phosphates.

Nitrates = 0
Phosphates = 0.09

Red Fuzz algae? Good or bad?
2148.jpeg

Gross brown hair algae
2150.jpeg

Good coralline algae, right?
2149.jpeg

fishguy4

no none of that algae is good. The first two look like types of hair algae and i forget the name of the last one but its not one u really want to keep around.

So have u already ordered ur CUC? If not add a sea hare, he will suck all that up like a vacuum! Then sell him to ur LFS when there isnt any algae left :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Its tough to get rid of especially dino algae. Good advice above

.............I'm feeling salty.

modulok

The third one (red spots) isn't good? I don't know how I could get rid of it, it's very hard and bonded to the rock.

I am using RO to top off and make new saltwater. But its not 0 TDS (at least with a cheap TDS reader). Even with new filters it was never 0. Maybe 30-50 range.

I changed my carbon and did a water change (15gal) this weekend. I pulled some of the longer pieces of hairy stuff off a few rocks. I am also leaving the lights off for three days.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The last photo does look like it could be red coralline algae, if it's hard and plastered to the rock, I think you're okay with that one. I have trouble with red turf algae. It's a pain and nothing likes to eat it aggressively. A few Mexican turbos nibble it but that's about it.

fishguy4

The last photo does look like it could be red coralline algae, if it's hard and plastered to the rock, I think you're okay with that one. I have trouble with red turf algae. It's a pain and nothing likes to eat it aggressively. A few Mexican turbos nibble it but that's about it.

o cool i have some of the last pic

modulok

lol @ fishguy4

In your first reply you said you forgot the name, but didn't want it around.