broken 150 gal tank

choard

Well I just had my tank break (ARRRGGG!)
I just got everyting running good and the back of the tank has a crack from the top to the bottom of the tank.
tank had been up and running for 2 months.
the good news is that it look like I have not lost any life I was there just after it broke and was able to tranfer everything to a backup tank for a few hours and I starting up some other tanks to move them into later today ( 55 gal / 40 gal tanks)
I have no idea what caused the break.

So I need some help
I need to find a 72 1/2 x 19 x 27 1/2
Tank does any one know where to get one in that size?
thanks

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Oh no!! Bummer!!!!!!! :( Check with the store you bought it from. Maybe it has a warranty??

BoomerD

What kind of stand was it on? Any irregularity in the stand surface that causes high/low spot can alter the weight distribution, and cause tanks to crack. It could be a corner high or low, a high spot in the stand, etc. OR, it could have been a piece of rock that shifted and fell, a weak spot in the glass, lots of things. Another theng that could cause a weak spot is trying to move the tank while it's full, or partly full. It adds a lot of stress to the tank. I'd check that stand first...

choard

I bought the tank from a friend a year ago and they had it on a crappy stand
I built one my self and it's level
I going to check it out again to make sure because I want to use this stand again.

fugazi

sorry to hear it!! I had my tank break back in april. just popped, from top corner across to bottom corner. lucky i was home when it happend and like you i lost no life. Definantly had a few drinks after the clean up!!

brian_e

put some styro on the stand this time just incase it was from the stand that will help level it out

mps9506

Might want to call some glass shops in the area see if they can cut you a peice that size and how much it would cost. Then replace the panel and trim, re silcone and you should be good to go.
Personally I would just replace the whole tank and use the broken one as a terrarium or soemthing. Might find a local reptile enthusisat looking for a deal on a tank that doesn't hold water...
Mike