bristleworms...

pmac90

well, after looking at night for about 3 months... i noticed a couple little buggers yesterday in full light, in the lowest rock possible!! one was creamish colored and the other was see through red (red fire worm maybe). anyway, any good sites for ID and such. also, what are people opions on if they are good or bad to have.

thanks

pmac90

well, witty, the red one might be safe. but the tan one went from a hole to another hole and it seemed like it took a couple seconds - and he wasn't skinny (haven't seen him again though).
and oh, do my size 22 dry fly hooks count??? :)

reefjitsu

check this link too... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php Pay particular attention to figure 3. Notice the body style and the "cottony" looking tufts of bristles. These are the "fire worm" types you need to look out for, the ones that eat corals and anemones and have powerful stings. Most other bristle worms are not going to cause any problems.

Charlie97L

any tips on how to spot them... i saw one bristey type reddish worm one day when i fed my tank, but nothing since then.

BoomerD

Best viewed after lights out with a flashlight that has a red lens or bulb...You can see LOTS of nifty stuff at night that you almost never see under the lights...

pmac90 said:
well, witty, the red one might be safe. but the tan one went from a hole to another hole and it seemed like it took a couple seconds - and he wasn't skinny (haven't seen him again though).
and oh, do my size 22 dry fly hooks count??? :)
WARNING WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT--I REPEAT--DO NOT PICK THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS UP WITH BARE HANDS.

They do not call the little buggers bristleworms for nothing. Pick them up with yer bare paws you will be spending the next week hunting for the bristles to pull out of yer paws.

This is one lesson I learned the hard way (ouch). I do apologize for the shouting, but thought the cause was well worth it. BTW--metal tweezers do a great job in picking them up.

Charlie97L

i just saw a Eurythoe complanata in my tank that was about 8" long... at least! it was purpley/blue... that's a good one right?