Blacklight Photography (with pictures)

PootyTang

Hey everyone!
So I've wanted to do this for quite some time, but never got around to it until tonight. These pictures are of my oc. clown hosting in my Aussie elegance. All the tank lights are off, and I'm holding a small pocket UV light. The effect on the coral is amazing, though unfortunately it makes the fish look a little fuzzy and also makes it tough to get the right exposure without loosing definition on the fish. Anyway, these are my first tries, I will definitely go back and try again. Enjoy!

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

PootyTang

its actually from an invisible ink pen, the ink glows under a UV LED and so I just shone the LED in the tank
I have some more pictures I'll post today

PootyTang

Newest pics:

Metallic Green Trumpet coral
IMG_5132.jpg

Green Brain
IMG_5040.jpg

RBTA
IMG_5041.jpg

Different Brain and Trumpets
IMG_5043.jpg

Wellsophylia
IMG_5046.jpg

Metallic Green Plate
IMG_5048.jpg

These were taken after lights out, so alot of the corals are retracted

PootyTang

Does anyone know if keeping a black-light LED like this permanently over the tank would be harmful to the fish?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
UV light is bad for both fish and corals. Whether the one diode has enough power to cause harm I don't know.

sambrinar

my light has blue LED lights that make the tank glow like that, you might wanna try that and see rather than using a blacklight (UV)

PootyTang

I'm beginning to wonder if LEDs can actually even be techincally "black lights" that emit UV, because everything I can find is LEDs that simulate black light, so maybe its not even a problem

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm beginning to wonder if LEDs can actually even be techincally "black lights" that emit UV, because everything I can find is LEDs that simulate black light, so maybe its not even a problem

Lots of light can emit "some" light in the "Black Light" spectrum. I'm adding some UV LED's to my LED hood on purpose.

PootyTang

So could I assume that a black light LED or 2 on my tank won't damage the fish? I mean in the wild, UV penetrates water better than any other part of the spectrum so they must get a fair bit underwater, in fact, I would guess that UV makes up a significant part of the light corals use for energy, I don't know much about the biology here, just the physics so if anyone has any facts I would love to know

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I don't know how powerful the diodes are.Professor Ellen Thayer wrote an article about exposing her tank to UV for a few seconds a few years ago. It was bad. Fish went blind, fins were damaged, all the coral bleached. About all the survived were the anemones and clownfish, and that is because they hid in the rock.

Like I said I don't know how much your diodes put out. I wouldn't try it. Actinics are good enough for me