Black Tang Rostratum

myerst22

Who has one now, or has had one? Tell me all about them. i have yet to see a good picture of one. Thanks Tim

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Here is some info and your right all crappy pics but gomhere for big pic

Browse - Images - Morphbank :: Biological Imaging

info
Aquarium Fish

Zebrasoma rostratum, Longnose surgeonfish: aquarium

Black Longnose Tang - Zebrasoma rostratumAlso known as: Black Longnose Sailfin
Maximum Size: the Zebrasoma rostratum grows up to 10 inches.
General Size Specifications: The small size will come to you generally 1½ to 2½ inches; the medium generally 2½ to 3½ inches; the large generally 3½ to 6 inches; the XL generally 6 to 8 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Black Longnose Tang prefers a tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Zebrasoma rostratum is a herbivore and likes to eat marine algae, zucchini, brocoli, mysid shrimp, Spirulina, lettus, seaweed, sponges, and other meaty treats.
Level of Care: The Black Longnose Tang is a medium maintenance fish.
Behavior: The Black Longnose Tang may act aggressively toward other fish.
Compatibility: It doesn`t get along with other tangs. Better to acclimate last into larger groups.
Water Conditions: Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Range: Christmas Island.
General Notes: Filters pose a threat to the planktonic offspring. Zebrasoma rostratum (Gunther 1875), the Black Longnose Sailfin Tang. In many ways, just a darker, longer-snouted version of Zebrasoma scopas or flavescens (rostrum up to 30% of body length). Likewise a hardy, undemanding aquarium specimen.

myerst22

Thanks for the info. I was looking for people with personal experience. Well mine should be here in a couple of hours. My friend in Hawaii caught one for me and it should be here soon. I am concerned about the delievery b/c the weather ids really bad in NY right now. Wish me luck! Tim

myerst22

He's arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:verhere: :eek:verhere:
IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

reefgyrl

Wow that is freakin sweet fish. I have never seen one before, and even cooler that your friend got it. Awesome~

Boomer

Don't mean to be an "ash" there myerst22 but that is one ugly fish IMHO. What the heck is that other fish, now he is cool. I dont' have that fish image in my head :lol: And somebody don't be a smart Ash :lol:

Frank Lloyd Wright

One of my heroes and he is cool, espeically his "Falling Water House" in Bear Run Penn.. So you must be a cool guy also ;)

Boomer

No wonder why, another one of Kevin's expensive fish from D & S. myerst22 must have money :)

Thanks Nervosu :D

myerst22

Well thanks for the compliments. I especially love the ugly comment. You sound like my girlfriend:laughroll Most people don't understand the love that we people have for fish and other marine life. I must admit I'm guilty of loving a fish because it's rare. On the other hand I think the all black tang is really elegant looking and its rare, guilty as charged.
I don't know who Kevin is from D + S. These fish are expensive but I always try to find them well below reatil cost. Regards, Tim

Frankie

RS STAFF
Has the tang darkened up at all since that picture? i am wondering if it was just in shock from all the travel and suddenly being stuck in a tank. Very cool that your friend can hook you up with it. Is it eating well?

Owzer

Has the tang darkened up at all since that picture? i am wondering if it was just in shock from all the travel and suddenly being stuck in a tank. Very cool that your friend can hook you up with it. Is it eating well?

The greenish hue on near the dorsal fin is usually a
sign of stress. Mine was like that for a week (it had
a little run in with my resident Power Blue which has
since been removed) before the colours came back.
I am happy to report that it's now completely jet black. :bouncer:

blacktang.jpg

Last edited:

myerst22

Having the black on a fully mature Black Tang is normal. He is doing great and eats sheets upon sheets of dried algae. I'll try and take some more pics soon. Regards, Tim