BioBalls

3ddd

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please tell me which one of the following two bioballs is best performance as a nitrate filtration media?

Thanks in advance

3ddd

Bioballs%207.jpg

bio_balls.jpg

Rhodes19

Actually, I think most folks consider bioballs as nitrate factories. Thats why most reefers don't use them. The bacteria that grow on the bioballs break down ammonia and nitrites and turn them into nitrates. The best way to reduce nitrates is by doing water changes, use macro algae, mangrove trees, or an algae turf scrubber. I also read some where that puregen removes nitrates but I haven't tried it yet. HTH

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some people use them with some degree of success but if you'll do a Google on Bio-Balls you'll see that it's pretty much accepted to NOT use them in a REEF setting. In fact at one point I was talking with some R&D at RSM and they were considering changing their literature to even state something like what comes with NanoCube "If this is to be a REEF Tank then omit the Bio-Media that's included in the kit. This is best left out of a REEF tank as the Live Rock and Live Sand will act as your Biological Filtration".

14gReefgrl

My husband has used Puregen in his 125g fresh water tank because our tap water comes out with ~30ppm nitrates out of the tap. He has been extremely happy with its performance. It is somewhat expensive but can be recharged for further use.

ddinox64

Bio balls have been used for ages. Okay years. The trend has moved away from them to refugiums. Bio balls need rinsed ever so often where rock and macro algaes don't.
Bio balls make for great oxygen exchange and cool the water as it "trickles" through them. They are used for filitration in more than just aquaria hobbies.
If I were to choose. The pin type look like they have more surface area.
I am the proud owner of a scrubber.

DaveK

It's not so much that bio-balls do not work. It's that there are better alternatives available, If your setting up a new tank, then don't go with bio-balls, go with a better filtration system.

When selecting a bio-ball type media, if you have no other choice, different bio-ball designs do things a little differently. For example, some have greater surface area, allowing more bacteria, others are more open allowing greater gas exchange,

I agree with Royalscott, either design will work just fine.

I do disagree with ddioox64 bout " Bio balls need rinsed ever so often where rock and macro algaes don't." Properly used, and this means the water is prefiltered for particulate matter, bioballs, used as a bio-media never should be rinsed or cleaned. In fact, they are self cleaning, in that any bacteria films that get too think will fall off the media. The reason bio-balls become a dirt trap is that the water is not often prefiltered, so the bio-balls end up becoming a mechanical filter, and then a dirt trap.

Bio-balls used in a skimmer, such as a downdraft skimmer, should be cleaned, This usually means using a brush to chean each bio-ball. In this case you want to remove any bacteria coating, since it's not a biological filter in this case.

In addition live rock used in a refugium should be cleaned from time to time. You can use a powerhead to blow it out,