BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing the new pictures Al!
Are any of those sps survivors from the package I sent way back? Like the Monti?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I sent Allen a batch of Monti a while ago and forgot to put a heat pack in it. Needless to say the corals died and stank up his home upon opening it also.
Doh.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Yeah there was a slight (understatement) aroma in the air that day LOL!

Frankie has been a HUGE asset to me with this tank :thumber:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think "Remote Bucket" would fit into the clean look of the built in tank. I like the idea just not in the current setting :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well I did it again... I over-flowed the sump again. I can't complain I've not done it "Bad" in well over a year now. Last time I created a BIG one was
12/16/2008 mentioned here I joined the "I flooded the living room" gang last night!!

On Wednesday I got my new JBJ brand ATO unit in. Being all anxious to test it out I went ahead and topped the sump tank off fully so I could set my sensor level correctly. I got everything set up and had an issue with the In-Sump sensor. It would only work if I held the wire going into the connector at a right angle. Bad solder job I suspect. I spent like 30+ minutes diagnosing the problem and nailing it down to that part of the unit. (New one already been shipped out ). Anyway as I was "Testing" the whole time I had everything "Live" which means pump attached to fill hose, fill hose in sump, etc (had I of removed the fill hose and just let pump RUN . . . .). Now keep in mind the FIRST thing I did was fill the sump to it's "High" level which leaves exactly enough room for back-flow from all lines into the sump. Now I've been cycling the pump off and on for a good while and at times running for a couple minutes per burst. I get it set up how I want it and close the cabinet doors. About 3 hours later I turn off the return pump so I can feed. I get distracted (Easily done mind you) and about an hour later I look over and think to myself "Wow the hardwood floor looks REALLY clean and shiny and smooth and slick and OMG"
:help1: :drown: :help1: :drown: :help1: :drown: :help1: :drown:

so I dive in and swim :swmfish: over to my tank and turn ON the return pump (like it's going to help at this point) and stand back to evaluate the situation. I immediately knew what I did so no sense trying to "analyze" what the fault was... 100% pure "Carbon Unit" error. After I put 1,578,397 towels down to start soaking up the water I checked my ATO container (which had been FULL initially at appox 12 gal) is now 1/2 full. If you interpolate the numbers and use some high level algebraic equations you could deduct that I had somewhere around 6g of Salt Water on the floor. Unfortunately it was enough to reach to an area rug and surprisingly this particular one acted a s sponge to "Wick" water almost 6' away from the spill area LOL! Go figure!! Who woulda thunkd it? :dunno:

Surprisingly enough adding that extra 6g of FW to my tank only change the SG from 1.026 to 1.025. That's not how I'd like to "discover" such but at least I have an idea of what 6g will do to a 90+g system.

lcstorc

I hope you have given some serious thought to flooring in the new house. Tile works well for me.
Sorry you had another flood. Keep towels handy and have the florist on call to smooth things over with Julie. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I hope you have given some serious thought to flooring in the new house. Tile works well for me.
Sorry you had another flood. Keep towels handy and have the florist on call to smooth things over with Julie. :)

LOL! Actually the new tank will most likely be on CONCRETE with a drain build into the floor. :D

That's the truth... she's a trooper and even helped get some EXTRA towels out in a hurry. I do have a few on hand there in the cabinet but not the needed 1,358,954 that I needed that night LOL!

Good to see you Lynn :)

Rhodes19

Ok, note to self, don't ask Allen for plumbing or ATO help. :D

Sorry Al, but thank you for sharing. That's 2 more things I have leaned not to do without actually doing it myself. :poke: For your next build you might conceder placing a moat around the tank to catch the water before it spreads. :ignore:

I'm sorry again. Its been a weird day. Rest assured, my time is coming and pay back is a..... So was it a faulty sensor that caused the flood? I was thinking about getting a JBJ ATO but might reconsider. Thinking diy at the moment with 2 sensors in case one fails.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No it was Faulty Allen that caused the flood. I filled the sump THEN started tinkering with it. All my fault and the faulty sensor is the one that is the back-up. So it's running right now on ONE sensor which is fine.

I did the DIY one last time. It was almost $50 and this one I got ready to go for $80.

BigJay

wow your never getting your security deposit back on that house! :) Keep on truckin brother, it happens.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
wow your never getting your security deposit back on that house! :) Keep on truckin brother, it happens.

LOL! Isn't that the truth. I'm pretty sure the floors will have to be redone regardless lucky one of my good friends here locally own a Hardwood Floor company and he already said he'd help me out. Whew!!

But for the record I LOVE the JBJ ATO. It's like Geico... so easy Allen could do it :) I think the hardest part (other than the faulty sensor) was getting the tape off the box LOL! Once I get the new sensor in I'll prolly take some pics and so a small write-up about it.