Way to go!!!

We're with you!

ah! one last thing...

BEAT THE DINO'S BUTT OFF YOU TANK!!!

Cheers...
Midway

NaH2O

Contributing Member
LOL - we are just so excited about you taking the challenge, we thought we'd bring the thread up again ;)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I've got the best solution : drain the whole tank and put it under the hot sun for a week. :) just kidding...feeling bored at the moment.

To all beginners, please ignore my post :)

Buzz_Hog

The fight goes on......

Guys,

Curt linked me to this thread and it's given me new motivation to beat the bastage dino's into submission also...

I'm attaching a pic of a very small area of my 125, but it shows the devastation my tank is going through..... Now just imagine this all over a 125....

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Welcome Buzz Hog - nice to see you here

Can you start by telling us what you've done so far? I know you've been in contact with Curt and have an RO/DI unit on the way. Dinoflagellates can be a stressful time not only for you, but for your tank as well. We'll get you through it. SunnyX is currently the Belt Holder for knocking out dinos. Hopefully, he'll be willing to pass the belt onto you. Hang in there, don't give up....we'll get you on the right track and be sure to let us know the progress.

Mr. Burns

Buzz_hog, that looks like my tank :(

Ive been trying to kill my dino's for 3 weeks now by sucking them out and doing water changes with RO water.

After reading this thread i'll try leaving the lights off for 1-2 days and see if it help.

Thanks for the great info from all of you.

/Jakob

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks for the picture Buzz_hog!

Is it possible to have a "nuisance algae" photo section of all the different types? I think it would be VERY helpful as a reference!

... my tank is getting a spot of thick dark red algae :( that grows while the lights are on but dissapears at night! I think it's redslime algae. Yucky!! :smirk:

Buzz_Hog

Originally posted by Woodstock
Thanks for the picture Buzz_hog!

Is it possible to have a "nuisance algae" photo section of all the different types? I think it would be VERY helpful as a reference!

... my tank is getting a spot of thick dark red algae :( that grows while the lights are on but dissapears at night! I think it's redslime algae. Yucky!! :smirk:

Woodstock, That sounds like Cyano Bacteria... I had some when I was having problems with maintaining lower tank tempratures...

What temp is your tank at, and what spectrum bulbs are you using? Most people that seem to have cyano problems are running 7,500 or 7,600 spectrum.. Try Red Slime Remover also and increase circulation.

I've been battling these dino's for about two months now. It's already killed off all my LPS and is now starting on my SPS as a couple of them have gone RTN on me. The RO/DI had arrived today and I've got a 55 gallon Food Grade drum ready to start good water production. I'll keep you updated as things progress...

Going to run a couple days of no lights and am going to put three Emperor 400's I have hanging around on the tank with a Diatom filter as well.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good luck with getting rid of your dino's Buzz_hog! I keep my tank at 80-82 and I have compact bulbs (2 10K, 2 actinic). I was wondering if they needed changing but they are less than 6 months old. Red slime remover?? I'll check into that, thanks!

Buzz_Hog

Not a problem...

Red Slime Remover is a form of Eurythromyacin (sp?) Since cyano is a bacteria, the anti-biotics should fix the problem...

Before you do use it though, would it be possible to post a pic or two of it so we can possitively ID it?

If not, I'll try to post some pics I took of my cyano and you can determine if it's a match...

SunnyX

Buzz_Hog,
DO NOT DO ANYMORE WATER CHANGES

Turn your lights off for at least 4 days.

Run a Wet/Dry Filter like an Emperor 24/7.Try to find some filter pads that will pick up particles up to 1 micron.

Get yourself some carbon.

Drip Kalkwasser. Try keeping Ph at 8.5

Last option would be changing you bulb spectrum.
When I switched from 10k to 20k I noticed a big difference.

Hope this helps. Stick with it. I lost pretty much everything in my tank but I stuck with it.

Buzz_Hog

Just got my RO/DI unit and have it all hooked up. I'm flushing it out as we speak.

The lights will go out through the weekend and am going to get the Emperor filters up and running.

I need to get another Maxi-Jet to get my Kalk reactor running again, but will do that this weekend...

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Woodstock

WS...check out this thread...It's a sticky in the Beginner's Forum: Nuisance Algaes

It would be a great asset to post the pics of the dinos here, and also, WS, your cyano as well.

Originally posted by Buzz_Hog
Red Slime Remover is a form of Eurythromyacin (sp?) Since cyano is a bacteria, the anti-biotics should fix the problem...

Since I am an advocate to understanding the impact of what you add to your system...I just wanted to throw something out there about this quote. If you are adding an antibiotic to your system...it is going to kill bacteria. What do we count on for denitrification and other "break down" functions? Bacteria

Just some food for thought. Do you think this would make an impact to a system?