beginner hoping to get some advice

[aquaman]

I just started up a 55 gal Reef tank. I mixed the salt and my hydrometer read 1.022-1.023. From what i've read that is good. I added my sand, Aragonite, then crushed coral, another Aragonite, mixed it together, then on top added a bag of live sand. I leveled it off pretty decently. I am running an Eheim Ecco filter, and two Powersweep powerheads. I was told that the powersweep would last very long, so i will eventually move to 2xmaxi-jet 1200. I'm going to use compact lights, and a CPR Back pack skimmer. this is where my question comes in. What skimmer should I use for a 55 gal and should I use a UV sterillizer, and protein skimmer? also, does it sound like im on the right track? I'm adding my Live rock(Probably 15 lbs.) on saturday.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would not mix substrates if the grain sizes are different. Keep the fine sand seperate from the larger types. I prefer the fine aragonite sand.

Powersweeps usually need frequent cleanings in saltwater to keep operating properly. They also have weak flow. I would recommend maxijet powerheads instead.

FOr a 55 gal, I would use an AquaC Remora PRO skimmer with a mag 3 or mag 5 pump.

A UV sterilizer would not hurt. Get one that is rated for double your tank volume.

kyle1284

it sounds like your on the right track.... im gonna tell you have everyone else has told me on RS about a hydrometer.... go out to your backyard and throw it as far as you can! They are innaccurate at times depending on the temp. BUY A REFRACTOMETER! Much much more accurate. IMO As far as your sand and crush coral.... to me thats the way to go.... I have never herd of a Eheim filter so cant tell u much about that...What wattage are you going to be using for the PC's? To me Remora would be the best choice for a skimmer... As far as the UV sterillizer... never have used one... i have something very simmilar to one called a Eco Aqualizer the might be a little "better"... check it out... As far as the liverock get 2 or 3 big chunks of LR to start a "base"...

[aquaman]

Huge help...I'm not sure how much wattage on the bulbs, I haven't bought it yet so I haven't really looked to far into it, any suggestions?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ebo Jager would get my vote.

No, a calcium reactor is not necessary for a newly set up tank nor any other tank that is not filled with calcium consuming animals(sps/clams). I have my LPS/softie tank going great using kalkwasser for all evaporated top offs.

kyle1284

[aquaman] said:
Huge help...I'm not sure how much wattage on the bulbs, I haven't bought it yet so I haven't really looked to far into it, any suggestions?

it really depends on what kind of reef you want... what are you pondering putting in your tank?

[aquaman]

LPS/Soft coral is what im doing. John the owner of a local saltwater reef store pointed out this particular light and said it was great, I forget what it was in terms of wattage though.

kyle1284

[aquaman] said:
LPS/Soft coral is what im doing. John the owner of a local saltwater reef store pointed out this particular light and said it was great, I forget what it was in terms of wattage though.

I would go ahead with what you LFS told you would be great... ask him about Atif hes trying to convince you to buy MH Lighting then ask him about atlantic lighting too, so that you can have the Blue spectrum of lighting in the tank. Im not sure what LPS can thrive under less than 200 watts of PC light, hopefully someone can tell you what can live under what lighting your going to purchase. Also look on the internet for lighting... IT CAN BE MUCH MUCH CHEEPER than your LFS. I would reccomend www.drsfostersmith.com and chek out some of that lighting. I have the Nova Extreme T5 PC Lighting... its a 4X54 WAttage.. its enough to house softies and some lps and sps but im looking into upgrading soon...keep me updated on how things are going! And Post Some Pictures!!:thumber:

Dragon Wrasse

Your Eheim Ecco filter will be good for polishing the water and running Phosban and or carbon...if you keep it in its normal configuration it might become a detrius trap.

[aquaman]

well i've added 16lbs. of live rock along with 15 snails 5 hermit crabs and three damsels. I also have a neon green anenome it was stinging stuff from my friends tank so he gave it to me. what should I be feeding the damsels actually they are blue chromis, and the anenome? when should i add the skimmer, and also when would be the earliest i have to put the compacts on? because im strapped for cash due to the holiday season? you think everything will be fine until the end of the month?

lcstorc

Anenomes are high light animals so I would get the light as soon as you can. Power Compacts do not offer enough light for most anemone species and they do much better in a well established tank so good luck. Add the skimmer as soon as you can since it is a very important part of your filtration and feed the fish either frozen food (preference) or pellets or flakes. All are high in phosphates and should be rinsed well w/ro/di water prior to feeding. I think this is why I prefer frozen. It is much easier to rinse/soak than flakes or pellets.