Battery Backup For Pump

no1bubba

Having Blackouts And I Need Something That Will Keep The Pump Going Longer Than 30 Min. Has Anyone Invested In Anything To Keep The Pump Going?
Bubba

csmsss

You might consider getting an uninterruptible power supply like many folks have for their computer and home theater systems.

luisgo

I have a APC Smart-UPS 1000VA that will provide 8 hours of power to three Koralia powerheads.

2 Koralia #1 = 3.5 watts X 2 = 7 watts
1 Koralia #2 = 9 watts
Total = 16 watts

With that my oxigen levels will be ok in my 125 gallon reef tank in the event of a power failure.

For longer blackouts I use a power inverter connected to my car battery.

CATALYST

I have a APC Smart-UPS 1000VA that will provide 8 hours of power to three Koralia powerheads.

1 Koralia #2 = 9 watts
Total = 16 watts

With that my oxigen levels will be ok in my 125 gallon reef tank in the event of a power failure.

For longer blackouts I use a power inverter connected to my car battery.

Tell me how you connect up your inverter. I almost had to do this. I have a smaller battery backup and haven't had to take it to the next step yet. I have an inverter but have only used it while driving the car.

DublD

1 Koralia #2 = 9 watts
Total = 16 watts

Lusigo.....have you tested this out? Do your props spin in the right direction when the backup kicks on? I have a couple of UPS's. One for my return pump and one for what was supposed to be my koralias. I had issues with the koralias starting in the wrong direction. I was given a prop mod (small piece of plastic tubing on the shaft) but it didn't seem to help, so I put a MJ in the tank connected to my UPS. If you have other insight, please share

luisgo

The inverter has a plug that is connected to the car lighter. Then with a power extention I connect the pumps in the tank. You have to turn on the car for 5 minutes an hour to avoid the battery to discharge.

The problem with the Koralias starting in the wrong direction may be related to the type of electricity produced by the UPS or inverter. There are two types pure syne wave and square syne wave. Pure sine wave is like the electricity from the utility company and all appliances will work. With square wave there are some issues with some pumps not wotrking properly.

The problem is that must UPS and inverters will provide square wave electricity. My UPS is pure syne wave but my inverter is a regular inverter and I don't have problems with my Koralias.

CATALYST

The inverter has a plug that is connected to the car lighter. Then with a power extention I connect the pumps in the tank. You have to turn on the car for 5 minutes an hour to avoid the battery to discharge.

The problem with the Koralias starting in the wrong direction may be related to the type of electricity produced by the UPS or inverter. There are two types pure syne wave and square syne wave. Pure sine wave is like the electricity from the utility company and all appliances will work. With square wave there are some issues with some pumps not wotrking properly.

The problem is that must UPS and inverters will provide square wave electricity. My UPS is pure syne wave but my inverter is a regular inverter and I don't have problems with my Koralias.

Sorry if I have silly questions...if you have all of your stuff connected to the backup and you switch to the inverter...do you plug the backup into the inverter?

luisgo

The only things that are connected to the UPS is a multipluug with the 3 Koralias. The main pump, chiller, lights, etc. are connected to the wall outlet. If the power outages is longer than the 8 hours I will manually switch the multiplug to the extention cord from the inverter.

Reef Ghost when I was looking for backup alternatives I explored that kind of backup system. It is an inverter/charger with batteries. The advantage of that system is that it uses deep cycle batteries and will last longer than a UPS. The system with the batteries is a little more expensive than a UPS.

johnvic

I have a 34 gal. Solana. I have the stock pump, 2 Koralia nanos and a Koralia 1. In the case of an emergency could I survive for a day on just the pump? I would think so based on the size of the tank.

no1bubba

Thanks for all the replies. I already have the type backup you are talking about but it will only keep my 75 w. pump going for 13 min. I need a backup that will work for at least 12 hours so the sump will not overflow while I am at work. The power heads I have a backup for.......it is the pump. Bubba

Rhodes19

Reef Ghost when I was looking for backup alternatives I explored that kind of backup system. It is an inverter/charger with batteries. The advantage of that system is that it uses deep cycle batteries and will last longer than a UPS. The system with the batteries is a little more expensive than a UPS.
Luisgo,
What was the brand name of the inverter/charger you used? I already have a deep cell marine battery and want something to run my sump pump (when I get one) when we loose power. Is the sine wave of the inverter important when it comes to running a sump pump? Thanks.

luisgo

Rhodes some pump will run on modified sine wave but others may need pure sine wave. The problems may be from not starting to starting in the wrong direction.

Here are some inverter/chargers I found at ebay. The best brand is Xantrex but is also more expensive than the ones from taiwan.

The one I use when the UPS batteries are discharged is only an inverter which is connected to my car.

Pure sine wave 110v charger/inverter -
3500w pure sine wave power inverter 12v 110v:eBay Motors (item 250454049581 end time Jul-28-09 03:53:02 PDT)

Modified sine wave 110v charger/inverter -
3000/6000 Watt Power Inverter with Built in Charger, - eBay (item 200360725372 end time Aug-06-09 18:08:32 PDT)

Rhodes19

Oh, by the way, NICE TANK! I remember reading that tank of the month issue and was very impressed. I like the aquascape and the corals. Absolutly beautiful luisgo! :thumbup: