auto top offs

flyline

do alot of you guys out there use auto top offs? i know what the pros and cons are but is there a big faliure rate to them? i was just wondering cuz i got one for xmas and still havent used it. i just dont want the thing to get stuck and either put too much fresh water in or none at all.thanks for the input:wave:

flyline

the one i have was purchased through dr. foster and smith it is called sp3000 niveaumat. it says it is a automatic top off unit with peristaltic pump and float switch.

brian_e

woodstock has a pic of a fast one i made her only thing i changed on the last one was made the top where it would come off to clean them if needed i have meybe $13 plus pump

billyr98

i heard they are awesome... Chad a member of RS uses one... I have one on my shelf. but never used it yet...

I've been using the jbj ato since november and it has worked great except for one thing... Snails somehow find a way to jump onto the float device, even though it is pretty well designed for them to not be able to... they find a way. So I've had a couple of uncontrolled fresh water dosings but the jbj does have a 4 min max run time to it so it won't go for hrs. Just my 2 cents.

Hey flyline... you a pilot? Just wondering by the screen name, looks like an airline guy to me! I'm corporate, a small company in indiana.

brian_e

why be afraid i have used auto topoffs fro about 4 years now fist year was the only time i had bad luck that was do to a stainless steel float not a good pick
the plastic floats work great there like $6 each then all u need is some acrylic and glue to make a box snails can not get into

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Im afraid if I automate it will be one less thing to do several times a day lol, then I might have to take the garbage out, fix the house etc, the thought alone gives me the willies.

becki

i run a 3000 niveaumat ,couldn't live without it ,one of the best things iv'e done besides adding a chiller.
these two things have made my life easier

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brian_e made this one for me.(thanks again Brian!!) I love it! Having an ATO is wonderful. If you ever have it, you will never go without it.

I use kalkwasser for my reservoir water.

floats_auto_topoff.jpg

flyline

nope flyforfood99 im not a pilot the screen name comes from an old joke me and my buddies have its actually fishing related...