ASM Skimmer question

prow

humm, cool site. but i dont buy all ASM models go in 8" of water. the euro reefs on that site all have "???" i would not trust that, at least not for the ASM's.

Scouter Steve

Never saw that page, interesting. I do doubt it's accuracy though. It lists the 4+ as 90 watts and the 4x as 50 watts. The 4+ uses a sedra 5000 while the 4x uses a sedra 9000. Could just be a typo.
As far as my experiment, It is early but I seem to get less skim with it in 9 inches versus the 13 I had!

prow

might need to tinker with the bubble level. maybe lower to half way up the first neck, dont know what that part is called.

Scouter Steve

might need to tinker with the bubble level. maybe lower to half way up the first neck, dont know what that part is called.

That changes from wet skim to dry. I know that fairly well with this skimmer. This whole question start from an article I scanned that talked about the air (lph maybe) for another needle wheel skimmer placed at different depths in the sump. Made me question whether the couple inches difference would see a huge change in skimate.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I may try to "elevate" mine some this weekend to see if it makes a difference. I might do a "control" test.. clean it out this weekend and run it "as is" for a week or so and watch/measure it. Then clean it again, elevate it and re-do the test again and see what the difference is.

If yall will PM me and remind me I'll do that this weekend. :)