ASM Skimmer question

Scouter Steve

Hey all thanks for looking here first off. I have had an ASM-G4X skimmer for a year now and am generally very happy with it but as always I wonder if I can make it better. I have not modded it at all and am considering a mesh mod but my true question here is the depth of water they run best at. I recall somewhere reading on another similar skimmer they had a chart showing how much air the skimmer pulled relative to depth in the water. I guess water pressure could affect the amount of air drawn into the needlewheel. Right now I have my skimmer sitting about 13 inches deep. Should I raise it up via building a platform. I know I could just do it but I am lazy.:eek:

Not looking to see who says what skimmer is a better replacement, just want easy way to get max outa what I got!
TIA

corrado007

I don't have an ASM, I've got an Octopus NW-200 so I can't help you with the operating depth but here's a pic of mine on a platform of egg crate with PVC legs to bump your thread.
Good luck!

NW-200onplatform.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I never thought about "Depth" but I'll be watching this thread to see what I can learn!

:bump:

prow

dude this is the one thing i dont like about ASM skimmers, no ref at all to sump water level.

i have the ASM G3 and just got the ASM G4xx. the G3 is in 14" of water and works nicely but think would do better in 10"ish of water, i forget the elbow hieght going into the skimmer. the G4xx has the sedra 1500gph pump unlike the G4x which has the sedra 900gph pump. also the teh G4x and G4xx are the same dimensions but the elbows going into the skimmer body are not the same though. the G4xx hole top is 11 1/4" from the bottom the G4x 9 1/2". but i have seen the G4xx labled as G4x more than once. so which one do you have? take look at this thread http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/27154-troubleshooting-probs-sedra-needle-wheel-3.html

i do plan on putting the G4xx in 13" of water. hope this helps

lcstorc

Mine is in about 10 inches of water and works great. I can't really test other depths though since it barely fits in the stand as it is.

Scouter Steve

Pretty sure I have a 4X. It is a sedra 9000 not a 15000. I don't think the XX was available when I got mine.
I just might have to build a small platform after all and give it a look see.

Scouter Steve

somehow I knew you would post in here Lynn! You say yours is in 10". Do you have the standard riser or have you done the gate valve? If standard, how high in relation to the cup or neck is your pipe?

lcstorc

LOL Guess you know my love of ASM skimmers. I try to hide it but somehow it always slips out. :)
Anyway mine is a g4+ with no mods at all. Hmm I'll go look for you. I'll even try to find a ruler and get the exact depth since I was guessing. :)

Scouter Steve

Oh I thought you had the 4X like mine. Probably would be different heights. Sorry but thanks for the look.
And like you Lynn, I like my ASM skimmer just always looking for tweaks and forever wondering if I am doing the best I can.

lcstorc

I'm impressed with myself. It is in almost exactly 10 inches of water. LOL I just guessed. The riser is slightly above the bottom of the cup but I do skim pretty wet.
Oh and my sailfin is about 7 inches long but man is it tough to measure a fish. (Hey I had the ruler out why not?) :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm impressed with myself. It is in almost exactly 10 inches of water. LOL I just guessed. The riser is slightly above the bottom of the cup but I do skim pretty wet.
Oh and my sailfin is about 7 inches long but man is it tough to measure a fish. (Hey I had the ruler out why not?) :)

:lol:

What are yall measuring from or to?

Scouter Steve

We, at least I am talking about how much water our ASM skimmers are sitting in. Nothing to do with how high water or foam is inside them. I started this wanting to know if a few inches of water depth did change how well they worked. I am gonna do my own comparison here. If I notice any real difference I will post back.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Steve. But was are your measuring up from and to? From the bottom of the skimmer to the water level in the chamber it's in?

Scouter Steve

Yes just from the bottom of the skimmer to the top of the water in that sump section. If you are not familiar with the ASM skimmer they are only in sump skimmers.

prow

they do work different at defferent levels. what i have come to believe is these skimmers work best when the level of water is a inch or tow above teh elbow/hole, so it seems. thats how i came up with the 13" for the G4xx.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes just from the bottom of the skimmer to the top of the water in that sump section. If you are not familiar with the ASM skimmer they are only in sump skimmers.

that's what I have now. An ASM G-2 in-sump. I just put it in there without regard to the water depth around it. hmmm now I'm wondering so I need to "elevate" it or something?

:)

prow

sounds a little high but not much. what is the top of the hole in the skimmer body height from the bottom of the skimmer? if possible go 1-2" above that hole on the water level. i just got this from reading and finding recomended levels for this ASM or that ASM. there seems to be a pattern on where the best operating water level is, for whatever G, its a water level just above teh elbow. all my info comes from myself and others that have tried various water levels, no official word from any official authority on it. i just noticed a pattern that seems to be holding ture as far as hobbyist observations go.