ASM G3 in the house!!!!

Snelly40

hey guys, i got my asm g3 today in the mail.
i tested it in the bathtub and it works great.

quick question, i figured out the assembly pretty easily and i know the venturi hose should be in that little spot for it out of the water. How come it needs to be out of the water?

i was curious and put the tube under the water and the flow erupted, didnt know if this changes anything or in the tank what it would do, but was just wondering. also, what is the minimum water level in the sump where the water should reach?
thanks guys :spinner:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
woohoo Snelly!!! congrats and Happy Skimming to you!!! sorry cant answer your questions, but , I just dont know. The real brains will descend soon, no doubt.Steve

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The small tube is for the venturi. It draws in air to make the bubbles.
I have read that the ASM G3 works well in 6-10" of water.

danfish

i also have a g3, is a great skimmer , you wont be disappointed. the tube has to be above water so it can draw air into the skimmer. if you put it under water there wont be any air mixture in the chamber. try to put your thumb over the opening of the tube and you know what i mean. good luck with your new toy:thumbup:

oh BTW water level should be atlease 6" mines is around 8" and it works great

kinghokus420

i have a G2 and it works great! like everyone else said the hose is for the air to the venturi. i run mine in close to 12" of water and it doesnt seem to affect it too much. i also gate valve modded it and i do recommend it.

DSCN7552.jpg

pmac90

gate valve mod: you would take off the adjustable tube with the sponge on it and replace it with new pvc with a gate valve on it. Then you can easily adjust the water level by the valve and not a tube you silde up and down. much more precise and simple.

billyr98

i went to Home Depot and got all the parts for mine... except the GateValve, I needed to get from USplastics...

billyr98

Here is a list of stuff needed...

---THIS INFORMATION IS FROM ASMSKIMMER.COM!!!---

The gate valve mod is very easy to build. The hardest part is locating a PVC gate valve.

In addition to the gate valve, you will also need an elbow, a tee, and some short lengths of pvc pipe.

The G2 and G3 skimmers both use 1.25 inch PVC and fittings. The G4, G4x, G5, and G6 skimmers all use 1.5 inch PVC and fittings. For the lengths of PVC, we are using: (1) three inch, (2) four inch, and (1) twelve inch.

The first thing you will need to do is remove the adjustable portion of the stand pipe that came with your skimmer (make sure you leave the bottom portion that is molded into the base of the skimmer). Use one of the four inch pieces to connect the gate valve to the bottom portion of the stand pipe. Use the three inch piece to connect the gate valve to the tee.

Use the second piece of four inch pipe to connect the tee to he elbow. Place the twelve inch section into the other side of the elbow. Slide the stub on the bottom side of the gate valve into the stand pipe on the skimmer. Test fit everyting and make sure this will fit into your installation, you may have to shorten or lengthen pieces of the pipe to match your needs.

We have bundled everything you see here in a Mod Kit. They are available here.

On the smaller skimmers, such as the G1x, G2, and G3, you may have to implement the Gate Valve Mod a little differently. This is because of the size the tee and gate valve take up. They end up being too high to effectively allow you to control the water level inside the skimmer. This is an alternate method that will work for the smaller skimmers.

Out of the skimmer exhaust, place your elbow, then connect it to the tee, out of the bottom of the tee you will install the gate valve, from the gate valve you will install a piece a lenght of PVC to empty into your sump.

BrothaWolf

i have a G2 and it works great! like everyone else said the hose is for the air to the venturi. i run mine in close to 12" of water and it doesnt seem to affect it too much. i also gate valve modded it and i do recommend it.

Good to know! I will be running my G3 in 11" of water. Was contemplating a stand for it now I dont have to wonder. Thanks!

i went to Home Depot and got all the parts for mine... except the GateValve, I needed to get from USplastics...

I was able to pick up a gate valve at lowes the other day for $3

Jorgens

My G-3 runs in about 15" of water no sweat. I haven't made a gate vlave yet. But I did do a drain line mod to it!! I'll get the camera out one of these days...or maybe right now with a cup of coffee.....be right back...

here we go. I drilled a small hole and epxoyed in a quick release fitting. Using simple and inexpensive air-line tubing i run it to a drain and I don't have to worry about emptying it. I do however still need to take the top cup and all off and clean it about once a month. And that's where the quick release is nice.

Tank006.jpg

Snelly40

tahnks for all the tips, wow very detailed. i will try and mod this soon then. How much of a difference have u noticed since the mod and what will it do?

SueT

G3 in the house. I know you'll love it. I don't have the gate valve mod. either. I run mine in about 8-10" of water and it does great. I emptied about that much out of it yesterday Jorgens. That was 4 days worth. These things skim like crazy.

aquaman3680

Congrats on the G3! I have a G2 also with the mod, the mod allows you more control over how much back pressure there is. It would be the first thing that I would do to that skimmer. I noticed a huge difference in the skimming capabilities of this skimmer with the mod. I would say it is completely worth it!

Matt

Shells

Hi everybody!
i was curious as to which pump that you'll are using with the G2 or G3??
I had a G2 with a Seio?? pump that did not work very well at all, i had to
get the pump replaced 3 times. I was really frustrated at that point, and ended up buying a new skimmer, but it does not work as well as my G2 at getting the goop out of the water.....

aquaman3680

Well all the ASM skimmers come with their own pump... As for the name of the pump I am not sure.... I am sure it is not a seio though...

Matt