Aptasia/glass rose death

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Fishhead:

Scissors will not eliminate them. They will simply regenerate. You have to kill the entire organism. I had quite a problem with them in my tank. I would recommend using a product called Joe's Juice. Worked very well for me. Even though it is considered reef safe, I would recommend using it sparingly. I waited several days in between uses to clean it out of the system.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If you are trying to eradicate them, scissors won't cut it. LOL~~ It would be very similar to cutting off a blade of grass...it will simply grow right back! Try using a hypodermic needle and inject it with hot vinegar or hot kalkwasser.

baja_01

Woodstock said:
If you are trying to eradicate them, scissors won't cut it. LOL~~ It would be very similar to cutting off a blade of grass...it will simply grow right back! Try using a hypodermic needle and inject it with hot vinegar or hot kalkwasser.

This is ture if you are talking about something like crab grass.

Every cell of the aptasia has the chance to grow into a whole new one.

angnak

I second Rougiem. I use Joe's Juice with good results. I usually try to get about 10-15 in one day and then wait a day or two. Sometimes you think you got one only to have it come right back. But stick with it. The big one's usually take a couple times to kill.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I second the Joe's Juice .. worked real well for me .. killed about 25 the first night, waited a week and killed another 20 or so. The big ones may take two or more treatments, and a small insulin hypodermic works great for injecting the buggers.

corvettephreek

joe's juice- the new "lethal injection"... worked for a friend of mine, he used a syringe out of a jest kit, stabbed it tons of times, then injected it.... they went bye-bye the first try.... :D

fishhead

Thanks for all the input folks. Gonna look into Joe's Juice. Will kill probably 6 at a time. You mentioned "clearing it out of the system", does this require carbon? or is it just removed like everything else, by skimming and water changes?

Little Luey

I really do not like waiting days to get rid of this pest. I took a grill lighter and burn them up. Of course I took the rock out of the water and there were only a few. For insurance I got some pepermint shrimp. Never saw them again.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I also used peppermint shrimp to take care of mine a couple of years ago but the problem is they're not exactly reefsafe they sometimes will go after corals so I would say it's probably safer to use Joe's juice :)

Newt

At the LFS in which I work we had an Apstasia outbreak, so we disbursed our Peppermints throughout the tanks and used Joes Juice on some of the worst tanks, and in approximately three days our problems disappeared.

We've never seen any of our peps take out soft corals, but it could be a possiblility I guess, but I'd rather have that than apstasia, because I don't mind if I have to wait for the softes to grow back. lol.