Anyone try a stunner strip with the stock T5 hood?

Mike1965

Not sure on Ecoxotic stunner but I removed both t5 completely and put two Ecoxotic Panorama's one is the 50/50 blue white and one is the 100% blue. Reason I mention this is a Lfs carries the Ecoxotic line and I originally asked about the stunner and they highly recommended the panorama instead even though they carried both. They said the panorama lighting was far better than the stunner. I put the two right where the t5 were.
I have had the setup going for 3 weeks now and my corals are thriving. Even better, no need for fans (noise) :).

anheezy

How much did that setup cost you if you don't mind me asking mike? Sorry to hijack the thread black.

chinodragon

I put Ecoxotic panorama on both the 130d, and now that i switch over to the 250 i simply mounted them on there as well, i have not messed with the t5 setup, these led are just an enhancement to the tank, it helps me support more sps, and also makes a nicer display, i put the 100% blue as well as the 50/50 magenta with blue, i love the magenta look on the tank. the whole setup cost me around $200.

Acanman

I have 3 True Lumen Actinic Blue strips mounted directly on the reflector plate--placed carefully bewteen the bulbs. They are wired to a timer to go on for 3 hours at night after T5s go to sleep. Also i like having the option of having just blues on. Stock lighting doesnt give that option unfortunately. Three strips lights up the tank perfectly.

Oxylebius

I was wondering about the stunner strips myself. Would like to add a little shimmer to my tank.

Acanman -the blue stunners look fantastic!

Acanman

Thanks oxy. Yeah the strips are crucial in my eyes. I love the look of just actinic blues. Very pyschadelic :)

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I was interested in adding some stunner strips too. Could you give me a rough diy guide as to how you did it?

Acanman

I used TrueLumen actinic blue stunner strips made by current USA. About $50/strip. 3 strips will make the rsm250 glow. Super easy to install.

Remove T5 bulbs. But before you do, mark with a pencil the three footprints inbetween the bulbs in which the strips will lay. Simply use double sided tape to attach strips directly to reflector plate. I used the same double sided tape (i got mine from lowes--advertised as water proof) to route the wires out through the plastic cover. Close up covertightly and use some more tape to seal up the small gap that will result from the threaded wire.

The true lumens connect to eachother and can expand up to three strips for one 12v dc power supply. The power cord can be routed through the back, to the left of the skimmer slide under the hinged door to the skimmer. I attached the power to a timer. I hope this helps. Lemme know if you want some pictures to look at.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks for your help, it sounds easy enough. I can get the Ecoxotic strips here but not sure about the true lumens. Do you find you get that shimmer effect because that's what i'm after?

Acanman

No its more glowing than shimmer. Marinedepot.com. One last thing. Whichever stunners you go with, DO NOT install on outside of T5 cage, IE exposed to the water. One drop of water touches these things they short out.

Oxylebius

Acanman, you are talking about the trueLumen actinic blue stunner strips made by current USA being exposed to water short out, right? I believe the Ecoxotic stunners are waterproof and can be placed outside the T5 light fixture.