Anyone try a stunner strip with the stock T5 hood?

CoreyM

They say they are waterproof. But after mine got wet mounted on the outside of the shield they did short out. Ecoxotic was nice enough to replace the two I had that did die. It took some time for them to go because they are waterproof. But not to the extent that they will survive their life expectancy mounted on the outside of the shield. My advice from experience is mount inside the shield. I have 4 of these in the for sale section of this forum if anyone is looking for a set. I'm saving for full led.

Acanman

Current USA claims their strips are water proof. My strips lasted three months being mounted on top of light hood (exposed to h20). I mounted the replacements inside the light hood. That was over 12 months ago and they still work perfect. Also no matter the mfg claim, i wouldnt feel confortable having a light 8 inches off the water.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cheers Acanman. I had planned to mount them inside the light fixture like yourself but now i'm not so sure. They cost around $80ea over here plus transformer and I reckon i'd need at least three. I might be better off saving for led's.

Oxylebius

Acanman - what am I looking at here?

So, you posted a couple of pics, one is obviously blue LEDs going across (perpendicular) to the T5 lights. But one of you photos that you posted looks like you have LEDs going in between your T5s? Is this correct?

How did you get LEDs going across your T5s? Is that how RSM used to make their blue LED lights?

I'm seriously looking at adding LEDs, so I really want to know how you set your up.

Acanman

Whats up oxy. I mounted 3 stunner strips; all horizontal with the t5 bulbs. They are stuck with marine-grade double sided tape directly to the reflector plate. They can be mounted so they can shine thru in between the bulbs. This picture illustrates it best
62cb7089-ccfb-1f13.jpg

Acanman

Sorry for some reason i keep getting errors trying to post pics to this forum. Look at the first page of this thread. The pic of the strips when the lights are turned off.