Anemone placement

Stalwart

I have a question, My Long Tip Anemone, which I have given the entire left side of my tank to, wont attach anywhere, He just keeps floating up and down that side of the tank, I have all levels available to it, as well as the rock and strate to attach to. Can anyone recommend a way to "encourage" it to settle down somewhere over there. I dont really want it free ranging over all of my other corals, which it would do if I let it do its thing. I was thinking about using a small mesh fishing net to kind of loosely tie it to a rock, or to get a piece of eggcrate and cut it to fit around my rock to section off that end of the tank and let it do its thing.

At the moment it is in a strawberry crate, while I am at work.

Any thoughts?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have never had an LTA but I have read that they prefer a deep sand bed to anchor in... although Billyr's is attached to a rock...

I wouldn't force it but instead try to determine why it isn't attached. What are your water parameters? salinity, temp, trAtes, etc...

BoomerD

The LTA, (Macrodactyla doreensis) is a sand dweller, and should have it's foot buried deep in a sand bed. I had about 5-6" of sand in my tank, and I could see the foot thru the bottom of the tank, it went that deep.
Try digging a small hole and sticking the foot in that. MAYBE it will stay. Of course, it has to have the right water flow and lighting to make it happy as well...

Stalwart

Parameters are all fine, just the mild alk/cal issue which I dont think would bother the anemone

SG 1.025
ammon 0
nirti 0
nitra < 5
ph 8.4
ALk 4.3
cal 375
mag 1200

There is plenty of flow on that end of the tank and I use 432 watts of T5 on a 55gal tank. 4x 54 10,000k 4x 54 460 actinics.

Dragon Wrasse

I have a LTA which was 4" across when I bought it and now its over 12" across.......they will travel around the tank until it finds a spot with light and flow that it likes, sometimes trying multiple different spots....more than likely it will root in the sand if you have a sand bottom, mine likes my 4" DSB and will move occasionally a few inches left and right. Remember these things are animals and will move to where its best for it or will die. If I had it all over to do again I would not have put a Anemone in the same tank as my corals and most people recommend that they be kept in a separate tank. Good luck, try not to let it sting any corals.