Andy's 29 Gallon Reef

Cassette87

Hahah hey Al! long time no talk :) It sure has been a while.. but, i'm sure you knew i'd be back at some point... ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah I knew you'd eventually "come home" again. You can log out but you can never really LEAVE LOL!!

hope life is treating you well buddy!! :thumber:

Cassette87

Small bit of an update,

Did a 20% water change yesterday, tested levels, swapped in some new Current bulbs, 10k/6.7k & 420nm/460nm.

Temp - 79.5
pH - 8.0
Ca - 440ppm
Mg - 1200ppm (supplemented top off bucket a bit to raise it a tad)

Also made a new little magnetic frag station to get some zoa colonies growing :)

I scrapped the Vortech MP20 Idea for now; figure I'd be better suited holding off until I've settled into a place of my own and start a larger reef.

I am however considering building myself a new stand, though I'm scared of the difficulties involved in lifting the tank in order to swap the stands... anyone have experience with this? I'd like to incorporate a sump but my current stand is so flimsy and made with awkward dimensions.. making it hard to do much. Any brilliant ideas are welcome :)

Also got a couple of cool zoanthid polyps from a LFS... they were floating around loose, I offered $5... he said sure :) Great colors, I'll try and get an accurate picture later tonight!

Cassette87

Well, I've reached a decision point here...

add a sump to the 29g, to increase water volume by ~10 and move the equipment out of the DT....

or

Upgrade to a 40/50 breeder, 50 is 2" taller, remain sumpless, and upgrade lighting. This will entail a bit more work, as instead of spending $200 on acrylic/glue/tools, I'll be purchasing the tank and building the stand.

Obviously the 40 breeder is the inital home run idea, but moving everything into the tank is the part that scares me since my 29 is over 2 years old now. I've long wanted to either add rock or change up my 29, but there is simply not much depth @ 12" to work with and I'm scared of disturbing everything to re-aquascape. I think a 40 breeder's 18" depth would allow for some pretty sweet aquascaping. of course, the whole "disturbing everything to make the move" fear comes to mind once more.

Thoughts? :)

funkpolice

how about going with a bigger tank, upgrading the lighting, and using the 29 as a sump? It's nice to get all the equipment out of the display tank. I would be worried about disturbing everything as well, but people do it successfully all the time. Whatever you decide, I can give you a hand if you need it.
bill

Cassette87

how about going with a bigger tank, upgrading the lighting, and using the 29 as a sump? It's nice to get all the equipment out of the display tank. I would be worried about disturbing everything as well, but people do it successfully all the time. Whatever you decide, I can give you a hand if you need it.
bill

Thanks Bill!

I appreciate that offer and will keep it in mind. I'm currently pricing out about how much it will cost me to get the job done if I go that route. How are the zoas doing?

funkpolice

the zoas wasted away, but that one green paly you gave me is about 10 now, and I've traded a few frags of it away.
bill

Cassette87

To any original RS member who knows the history of my tank, or to any newer member who's taken the time to read through... the time has come to move out!

The 29gallon will remain established for the time being, while I do the acclimating this time around into my own place. After the commotion passes, I'll be likely picking up a Red Sea Max 250, since I've always been a fan of the "all in one" solutions opposed to pieced together setups.

Hope all is well with everyone here on RS! I will try to get some photos of the tank here in the next day or so!

funkpolice

congrats on the new place. I have lots of cool frags now, so if you want something to get the new tank started in a while, let me know. I'd love to demo an led fixture too. Read as, it would sure be swell if you gave me an led fixture!:look:
bill

Cassette87

Hey Bill!

Thank You! haven't moved in yet, scheduled closing is June 11th, give or take a little bit. You're definitely up at the top of the demo unit list ;) Seeing as I'm considering a RSM250, i'll need someone to test for me! I suppose the RSM250 crowd would love an LED retrofit as well... hmmm.. guess i should get a business plan together. And this go around, the LED fixture WILL get built and finished... It's my design project after all ;)

Good to hear from you! hope all is well!

Cassette87

Thanks Jen! Pinky now has two silver dollar sized clones growing next to her! I'm nervous about moving them to my new system, once it's established since they seem so comfortable where they're at. Waldo unfortunately went MIA a couple of months back :( My Ocellaris clown is now alone!

Cassette87

Found that particular R.yuma at a LFS here in Illinois. I may have a frag available as I get everything ready to move to my new RSM250. I don't know where in WI you're at, but I'm sure it'd be a hike.