Andy's 29 Gallon Reef

Cassette87

Well, at the start of the year, I decided to get back into the hobby, fantastic for me, bad for my wallet! Anyhow, I got my tank up and running, and soon found the RS community, where many of you have already helped me out tremendously! I would like to especially thank Cougra and Icstorc, for all of their help thus far! I couldn't possibly have had peace of mind without the input, advice, and opinions of you two! Anyhow, Here goes:

About a year and a half ago, I had the same size aquarium set up, only FOWLR and without a heck of a lot of knowledge. Unfortunatley, I don't have any pictures of my old setup, however, this time around will be much different!

Well, when setting up my current setup, I intended to mimic my last go at the hobby, and expand on it over time, originally thinking that setting up a reef would be somewhat lame, since i was so fascinated with my old dwarf zebra lionfish :snshne: I can't quite say what it was that made me see the light though... I suppose once I had the tank to the point where I was able to add a clean up crew, I began to think, well their just going to get eaten... and so I picked up three blue chromis when the time was right, and I was fascinated how much personality even the smallest most unexpected fish could have. This is when I found RS, and I think thats when I got bit. Another hobby of mine includes growing carnivorus plants, venus fly traps, sundews, pitcher plants, and so on. and it dawned on me that a reef was in a sense an even more wild of a garden than the one i have! So, I went out and picked up My first coral, a rock with three mushroom polyps. (pictures to follow) since then, Which, mind you, hasn't been very long, I have added 6 narcssisus snails, and 4 blue leg hermits, one of which was lost to the substrate while aranging new LR :( And finally a Cleaner shrimp named piere and a rock of orange and button polyps. There will surely be more to come in the not so distant future, and equipment upgrades coming later this week, so I thought why not start a "reef chronicle" after reading a number of them, the input each and every one of you offer is invaluable to ultimatley making my piece of the ocean as good as it can be! Thank you to everyone on RS!

Without Further Adieu, Photographs, in chronological order.

Cassette87

This is the earliest photograph of my current aquarium. Inhabitants at this point in time include 3 blue chromis, and two scarlet reef hermits
aquarium010.jpg

A picture of the 3 stooges!
I am really fascinated by these fish.. I without question have witnessed them play hide and seek on a number of occasions!
aquarium015.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Very nice Cassette, sounds like a pretty painless reentry into the hobby, look forward to the pics. Steve

BrothaWolf

looking good Andy tell us about your equipment. You might want to take a roller and some paint to the back of the tank You would be amazed at the depth it will give you

Cassette87

My first coral purchase, I may as well have my paycheck direct despoited to the LFS, I know I'm addicted at this point.
new005.jpg

Whole tank shot after the addition of the 4 blue leg hermits and the three mushrooms.
new008.jpg

A few days later, I was able to pick up a couple of new bulbs for my wonderfully terrible hood, the eclipse 3 system. I picked up a coral sun and reef sun bulb (dayligt and actinic) and all i can say is wow, Pictures don't do it justice, it is truly beautiful!

new009.jpg

The mushrooms Are doing wonderfully!
new010.jpg

BrothaWolf

Awesome shrooms! I hope they explained you need to target feed the sun coral and that they dont like the light so much

Cassette87

More recently, the mushrooms are certianly growing! In fact, underneath the top of the rightmost one, a small frag has broken away from the stem, and is most definitley developing into another mini me mushroom!
8226685_1024.ts1170460920000.jpg

My Newest coral addition! Various Zoa's, and they are amazing to say the least!, If only there were a venus fly trap coral... and don't mention the a word, they don't count. :)
8226699_1024.ts1170460996000.jpg

My new cleaner shrimp Piere! He does seem to simply sit under his one rock all day... should these guys be more active? Sorry about the Picture quality here... my hand was shaky, with zoom and macro.. doesn't make for a good shot.
8226712_1024.ts1170461067000.jpg

And finally, a whole tank shot. This is what the tank looks like now, except I've added another powerhead on the left side, which is cleaning up the cyano after only a day of added flow! Oh, and incase it wasn't obvious, More Live rock! the leftmost piece you can notice a few hitch hiker polyps! I was definitley excited about this!!
8226636_1024.ts1170460760000.jpg

Cassette87

As for my equipment, I currently don't have a whole lot to talk about. The canopy is a Marineland Eclipse 3 system, so there is a Carbon/floss filter and a biowheel built into the hood, powered by a 250GPH PH. The heater is a typical Ebo Jager model, and Both powerheads are Penguin ph's one flows 170 GPH and another at 300GPH. My stand was a giveaway from my friend who had a freswater aquarium from some time, and that about does it

This week I ordered a aqua c remora protien skimmer with the mj1200, and will be picking up a 30" coralife aqualight PC fixture with lunar lights!! I will definitley be moving the pillow on my bed to face the tank instead of the tv!

Awesome shrooms! I hope they explained you need to target feed the sun coral and that they dont like the light so much

I didn't get a sun coral, I got a bulb that was advertised as a "coral sun" bulb :) although sun corals are very beautiful! Sorry if I worded that incorectly.

lgerold

You are off to a wonderful start! You'll really like the protein skimmer you ordered. I used a Remora C Pro on my 125 and it did a great job.

Keep us in pictures!

Cassette87

Thank you Igerold! I heard many positive things about the remoras, so I figured better to buy a good one to begin with just like everyone says. That way when my itch gets me into a 55 i can still use it!

One thing i forgot to metion is that I recently noticed some Aiptasia in my tank, and have already ordered joes juice. I'm scared that this could ruin my reef experience, so hopefully all goes well. I would like to avoid peppermint shrimp, since so many of you have said they can nip at coral.

Cougra

I really like the look of the tank so far. It reminds me of my tank when I first set it up. I wish that I had taken pictures of it then so I could have something to look back on! I can't wait to see more pictures as things progress in the tank.

I'm also certain you'll like the Remora skimmer. I've only had mine for a few weeks and I am impressed with it and glad I made the purchase. It's incredibly simple to use, not too noisy (does have some running noice but I find it relaxing) The first couple weeks are definately the noisiest though.

I think you'll also like the new lighting system you get. I know the pump for the canopy creates good water circulation in most areas of the tank but you'll find that regular powerheads will allow for more flexibility in the tank and you wont have to try to work around a free hanging outlet!

Cassette87

Thanks Cougra! I can't wait to get the new equipment set up, although I'm sure you know that already :) I will probably pick up the lights today, although without the skimmer, I don't want to remove the eclipse 3 yet. So Probably no assembled pics just yet, but I'll throw up a picture of the new lighting system if I get it today!

lcstorc

Everything is looking good. Happy shrooms and happy zoas. Keep up the good work. It will get even better once you have your skimmer up and the new lights. :)

Cassette87

Just got home from the LFS to pick up my light! I'm supposed to be in class in two minutes, but i couldent pass up this deal! Not only did i get my lights, which i'll take pictures of after class, but I found this guy a small brain coral, for $15! I know it's not the healthiest looking one around, but supposedly it came from a tank that bit the dust, and they got it for free, better for me! anyway, it looks like it'll pull through, and i thought it was worth $15 either way! I like to see them grow from the get go.. so it worked out perfectly! More pictures to follow! (after class) :)

brain.png

Last edited:

Cassette87

As promised, the new lighting system! It's a 30" coralife lunar aqualight. i tested it out and man is that daylight bulb somethin else! the lunar lights are also amazing! I just hope they're not too bright! Does anyone have any reccomendations for a powerstrip with built in timers? I've heard many negative reviews about the coralife strip, and if i don't find a decent one, I'll need to pick up 2 more manual timers, which are rather bulky, but do what ya gotta do i suppose! I got home too late to take any more pictures of the brain, but there doesn't seem to be any changes since i added it to the tank. Maybe tomorrow will prove different, since I'll be able to get this new light fixture up and running!... although I just realized I haven't yet recieved my skimmer :-( I suppose it may be a day or two. At any rate, more updates tomorrow!

Here's the aqualight! its 30", 2x65watt one 03actinic and one 10,000k daylight(wow is that one ever powerful!)
aqualight1.png

aqualight2.png

edit:

And finally before heading to bed, I'd like to add that i plugged in the lunar lights and opened the canopy lid to set the lunars on top. all I have to say is it was worth every penny! The ripples shine down to the floor, everything looks beautiful... the corals luminesce... something i did not expect at all! I am so pleased with it! and the last photo for the night, A picture I just snapped of my larges mushroom, which on the right you can see a small recent frag that has already taken an independent shape, and is already growing quite rapidly! and to the left, a much larger portion that is about to frag! Im sure you've all seen it dozens of times... but i just want to share some of my excitement! and i thought reef keeping would be lame... boy was i wrong.

hitchhiker_002.jpg

BrothaWolf

I have both corallife timer/power strips The manual one and the digital one. Both are good units each one having advantages over the other. The manual one lets you get a bit more creative with your lighting cycle it has 2 daylight, 2 atinic and 2 moonlight outlets and lets you program the atinic and daylight seperately The moonlights come on when the atinic go off. Drawbacks are only one dedicated full time outlet and the timers are manual so the time settings can get a bit off The digital one has 4 dedicated full time outlets and 2 daylight and 2 night light it also has a battery backup so you dont lose your settings if power fails or you unplug the unit Disadvantage is that when daylights are live nightlights are off.... thats it thats the only option there is no way to control atinics seperately. Thats why im using both. I have blue moonlights, white moonlights, T5's and halides all on different schedules.